Tennessee got slapped on the wrist...

I think they got off pretty light.

Real Nattys | Fake Nattys Yes | No

It’s Goat….again.
    Good. I don't know why Sankey's dumb ass can't see that this is in DIRECT response to that stupid officiating crew, who creates drama every single week. And I think they actually got the call right. People are just sick of them, and the circus act they create. They aren't decisive about anything.

I have no idea why officiating cannot be touched. It's like pro wresting or something, we all see what happened, but the referee was knocked out so the victory doesn't count.

8 out of 11 sixpackers like this post

It is atrocious how he can do this without an open punishment of the refs. They’re part of the field of play, not untouchable, unquestionable deities. They should receive equal admonishment not only for that game, but all the others as well. SEC refs are the laughing stock of college football.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

The one referee should be fired for not coming forward and admitting he signaled the play dead on that punt at Memphis. Mistaken calls can be excused as long as they don't happen too often. But that's a character and integrity issue and he failed. One strike on that and you've got to be out.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

1) The call was right.

2) It doesn’t matter if they blew every single call on every single play….its still just a damn football game. It’s flat out inexcusable by any standard to throw shit at players, coaches, cheerleaders, band members, and pretty much everyone else on the sidelines because you are upset about a call that was not made by any of the above. They should have lost an entire home game’s worth of fans at a minimum.

7 out of 11 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by patdog View Post
    The one referee should be fired for not coming forward and admitting he signaled the play dead on that punt at Memphis. Mistaken calls can be excused as long as they don't happen too often. But that's a character and integrity issue and he failed. One strike on that and you've got to be out.
    I spoke to a SEC ref today. He said the back judge was suspended 3 games for that. He also said the Auburn/Penn State crew was suspended for a game and are serving that suspension this week. Of course none of this is announced for some reason.

Agree with #2. But the problem with #1 is the inconsistency by the referees. Players are routinely given 1/2-1 yard more than a strict interpretation of the rule allows, and by routinely I mean on virtually every play. Then with a close first down on the line, you call it by the books. I can understand why people would be pissed and the incredibly poor refereeing we see in the SEC. But again, #2. So what? It's just a freaking game.

It’s Goat….again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Budaw View Post
    1) The call was right.

2) It doesn’t matter if they blew every single call on every single play….its still just a damn football game. It’s flat out inexcusable by any standard to throw shit at players, coaches, cheerleaders, band members, and pretty much everyone else on the sidelines because you are upset about a call that was not made by any of the above. They should have lost an entire home game’s worth of fans at a minimum.
    I agree with you (that it shouldn't happen) but just one clarification - it wasn't just THAT call. Like we've said, the call was correct. But the frustration with that crew is boiling over.

And you know just as well as I do that it's not "just a damn football game". I'm not saying it should be more than that, but truthfully, it is. It's livelihoods, big money, etc.

It's like the riots last summer - they shouldn't happen, but it's not hard to see the perfect storm that occurred, where they DID happen.

And no, I'm not comparing those two, so save your rage. Just showing that you have to look at how you got to a certain point, to understand it.
    Last edited by Smoked Toag; 10-18-2021 at 03:47 PM.

0 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

The SEC would go a long way towards restoring confidence in officials if they would announce these suspensions.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Agree with #2. But the problem with #1 is the inconsistency by the referees. Players are routinely given 1/2-1 yard more than a strict interpretation of the rule allows, and by routinely I mean on virtually every play. Then with a close first down on the line, you call it by the books. I can understand why people would be pissed and the incredibly poor refereeing we see in the SEC. But again, #2. So what? It's just a freaking game.
    I don’t think that’s something that happens on virtually every play. It certainly happens occasionally with other crews besides that one, much less frequently in the NFL than in college. Most spots are correct though.

Twitter
    @missouridawg3
    Someone in a text chain mentioned that they should be forced to stop selling alcohol there for the remained of the season. The feels like the perfect punishment, both monetarily to the school and punitively to the fans, that could exist.

0 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Smoked Toag View Post
    I agree with you (that it shouldn't happen) but just one clarification - it wasn't just THAT call. Like we've said, the call was correct. But the frustration with that crew is boiling over.

And you know just as well as I do that it's not "just a damn football game". I'm not saying it should be more than that, but truthfully, it is. It's livelihoods, big money, etc.

It's like the riots last summer - they shouldn't happen, but it's not hard to see the perfect storm that occurred, where they DID happen.

And no, I'm not comparing those two, so save your rage. Just showing that you have to look at how you got to a certain point, to understand it.
    No, I absolutely do not know that. Somehow, college football has existed for well over 100 years without what happened in Knoxville going down on the scale that it did. It was a complete embarrassment. How many people do you know that have attended games for any length of time have ever tried to throw something on the field?

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

The only time I can remember being at a game where items were thrown on the field was the 1981 Egg Bowl in Memorial Stadium. After that BS pass interference call, I was a few rows up in the corner of that end zone, and couldn't tell you the number of empty whisky bottles that flew over my head and went skipping out across the field. It's a wonder that someone wasn't seriously injured or worse.
    I've polished a seat in every SEC football stadium with my butt.

Watch closely. It happens on virtually every play.

It's NOT the alcohol. Pete Thamel has the right punishment. Make them play their next home game with no fans. If you want to stop this behavior, that will stop it.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Twitter
    @missouridawg3
    It's NOT the alcohol. Pete Thamel has the right punishment. Make them play their next home game with no fans. If you want to stop this behavior, that will stop it.
    I agree that it wasn't the alcohol. Pete's idea of punishment is nice, too. But if you want incentivize the masses to stop the idiots... take something away that the masses want because of the idiots. If you do the "no fans" thing... that's only a one game punishment. If you dangle the threat of losing alcohol for the season and future seasons, that seems like a deterrent to encourage normal fans to grab their neighbor while they're cocking that arm back and telling them to cut that shit out.

Funny thing is that fans at other SEC schools (including MSU) think it would have been different at their school. Put those students/fans in the same/similar circumstances (hated opposing coach, bad call on the scoop and score, players faking injuries to stop momentum, long game/late night, alcohol sales, questionable call when a big game was on the line, etc.) and they would have done the same thing.

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Clearly, tenner should have screened fans for golf balls and mustard bottles.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

The SEC would go a long way towards restoring confidence in officials if they would announce these suspensions.
    I agree with you, but I don't believe any conference does, and it is extremely rarely done in professional sports.