Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

PSA: If you bank with Regions in MS do not trust them or their relationship...

..with Zelle.

Yesterday morning I was paid $2,000 by someone using Zelle. Regions immediately sent me an email notification and looking at my account the payment was posted.. not pending but already posted.

Then.. overnight the payment was deleted from my account. As in .. poof.. gone.

Regions is taking no responsibility saying Zelle was hacked overnight, they stopped all payments and that this is their problem. So even though Regions promotes Zelle as safe and secure and has their software integrated into Regions Online Banking they're denying any responsibility and hiding behind the fine print. I was told Regions can't help me because Zelle is a "third party vendor".

I might be done with Regions and I'm definitely done with Zelle.
    Last edited by Xenomorph; 10-19-2021 at 01:36 PM.

0 out of 2 sixpackers like this post
    Real Nattys | Fake Nattys Yes | No

Learned that long ago

It’s Goat….again.
    Sounds like a Zelle deal. I've never had a single problem with Regions in 20+ years, they are actually are great at spotting fraud. Use Paypal and Venmo and never had an issue.

0 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

if the payment was posted into your Regions account I think Zelle would have to get authorization from you or Regions to reverse it. How would Zelle have access to take money back out of your account without approval from you or the bank? seems odd but maybe i don't understand the relationship.

I <3 the St Louis Cardinals Mobile Bay's Avatar
    If you bank with a bank you are nuts anyway. Best thing I ever did was switch away from Regions to a local credit union.

2 out of 8 sixpackers like this post

I walked out of Regions with the branch manager saying Zelle got hacked and here is the number to call. I call Zelle, stay on hold and then they say this is a Regions issue I should contact them.

My recent "Regions sucks" experience wasn't nearly as bad as yours.

I used online banking on 9/24 to pay a bill that would go out via check to a local address.
    According to their support desk, the check was not mailed until 10/1.
    It arrived on 10/16.

Now 10/1 to 10/16 could all be the fault of the USPS, but I'm skeptical.

Notably, I've used this system for years. At worst, the check went out the next business day and had the same times in the mail that everything else did: 1 to 3 days for local addresses.
    My loss was a $30 late fee and a bunch of angst plus wasted time on hold.

Quote Originally Posted by 00Dawg View Post
    I used online banking on 9/24 to pay a bill that would go out via check to a local address.
    According to their support desk, the check was not mailed until 10/1.
    It arrived on 10/16.

Now 10/1 to 10/16 could all be the fault of the USPS, but I'm skeptical.

Notably, I've used this system for years. At worst, the check went out the next business day and had the same times in the mail that everything else did: 1 to 3 days for local addresses.
    My loss was a $30 late fee and a bunch of angst plus wasted time on hold.

Region definitely sucks, but if you can get a local check out the next business day, that's pretty good. Even for places I've sent a check to before, if a physical check actually has to be mailed, I can only schedule a check for receipt about a week out. So presumably it takes them two or three days to mail it out and they give the post office a few days to deliver it.

But again, Regions definitely sucks and has sucked for a long time.

The instructions on Regions system for Zelle say,

Don't sign up or deal with anyone, that you don't know, and fully trust. Like family etc.
    Jack may be gone, but he is "EVER PRESENT"

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Generally speaking when they talk about safe and secure they are mostly saying they have fraud protection for senders. Ebay and PayPal and pretty much every financial institution can have the same issue. Secure for a seller would be Cashier’s Check (that’s been verified), wired money (Western Union) that’s not sent directly to your bank and has been picked up, and cash.

Many times Jimbo on Facebook marketplace ain’t really Jimbo. And he is using sweet ole grandma’s Zelle account or bank account information to pay. Now Grandma is secure because she can file a fraud claim because this clearly wasn’t her. Your financial institution has to return the fraudulent funds. Posted vs pending means nothing. They generally have about 6 months to file fraud claims.

Sellers get scammed a lot because the system is set up to protect the uninvolved victim and the seller should “just be more careful.”

While you can be angry at Regions because of this misunderstanding, literally every financial institution will do the same.

ETA quotation marks to show I’m meaning what their position is, not to be dismissive.
    Last edited by aerodawg; 10-19-2021 at 03:18 PM.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

I don't know why anyone uses Zelle. Too many better options.

I use Apple Pay when I can, and Zelle after that, then PayPal. What other, better options are there? I'm seriously asking because I really don't know, not being snarky.

I’ll speak about P2P transactions a little. I work in payments industry and do not expect to be able to dispute a transaction with Zelle, Cash App, etc. If you pay someone you have no chargeback rights for the most part unlike other debit card transactions. It’s essentially like giving the recipient cash. There are exceptions for actual merchant transactions but person to person not so much.

I’ll also add, when I was at the CU, we looked at adopting Zelle. They wanted our entire membership’s information not just users so we opted out. I’m not sure this is the case anymore, but that was a hard no for us.
    Last edited by mcdawg22; 10-19-2021 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by patdog View Post
    I use Apple Pay when I can, and Zelle after that, then PayPal. What other, better options are there? I'm seriously asking because I really don't know, not being snarky.
    I've gotten to where mostly I only use Venmo. PayPal in a pinch. Haven't had issues with either of them. If the person I'm trying to pay doesn't take either of those, I'm probably digging out an old-fashioned check.

And just a heads up, the government is about to start taxing the pay apps.

My experience is very similar. I have a Capital One credit card that I pay with online banking, as in I log in and tell Regions when I want it there, how much to send, etc. I don't let Capital One (or anyone else for that matter) just withdraw the amount they specify from my account monthly and neither should you. Comcast taught me never to do that after they did 3 different charges in a month two of which weren't mine.

For 3 months in a row the Capital One payment was late and late fees were charged, I argued and Regions eventually paid them. After calling them Regions says Capital One didn't renew their electronic agreement with Regions electronic payment contractor. I call and Capital One laughs and says they tell everybody that because they don't want to pay the electronic fees to send it so they mail paper checks instead (which makes no sense to me when electronic would be cheaper you'd think). I don't know who's lying but one of them is. What it boils down to for me is if I log in and tell Regions when and how much and they give me a confirmation number, it better show up where and when its supposed to and they cant seem to do that.
    The poster formerly known as: dawgebag

Cash, checks, silver and gold bullion, barter. All are better and more secure than these newer systems

Thats not true

If 'Great at spotting fraud' means that they continually declined my debit card in 'high risk for fraud areas', you might be right... Not even kidding... I'm talking about 10-12 declines at Moe's, Chipotle, Publix... You know, the typical high risk for crime areas of an incredibly white atlanta county suburb... That, and I had over $5k taken out of my account via fraud while using them... Had a charge pop up on a Friday afternoon. Called them, said it wasn't mine. They said "oh, charges like this usually take 12 hours to clear". 12 hours later, I had lost $5k and had rented a condo in asia... Took 3 weeks to get my money back... They are not good... Typical huge bank. Don't really give a crap about you. Just want your money and no contact with them for any help.

1 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Bay View Post
    Cash, checks, silver and gold bullion, barter. All are better and more secure than these newer systems

1 out of 8 sixpackers like this post

They're lowering the 20k IRS reporting number to the magical $600 figure these idiots are enamored by.

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

It’s Goat….again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    And just a heads up, the government is about to start taxing the pay apps.
    I mean.....shouldn't they have been doing that anyway? And they aren't 'taxing' them straight off of the apps, they are going to have access to them so if you aren't reporting yo shit, they can bust you.

Again, I don't see the big deal unless you're already not claiming your money, and in that case, use straight cash homey, don't be a freaking idiot and leave a paper trail.

It’s Goat….again.
    Thread is not complete with a crypto warrior. Where have they been lately? I have no idea if it's doing good or bad, just noticed there's been no threads. I have a little bit of interest in it myself, but don't really monitor it.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

AmSouth had it down pat.

Pending Electronic payments processed from your account every business day at 10:30 AM, and checks were printed then, too, and hit the mail.
    Soon after Regions bought them, electronic payment processing moved to 1-2 days, (although checks have generally stayed at one day until recently).
    When I called Regions to ask about the change, they said electronic payments couldn’t be processed that fast or on a set schedule. I told them to go ask the smaller company they just bought how to do it…

Twitter
    No thanks

Yep, that's it in a nutshell.

I sold a $1200 dollar item on Ebay several years back. The day the item arrived to the buyer, he sent me a message saying everything was good. About three weeks later I get a charge back on my Pay Pal account. Called Ebay and they said it's a Pay Pal thing. Called Pay Pal and they said the buyer filed a "not as described" complaint. Pay Pal said since he used his credit card to pay and not his Pay Pal balance, they were at the mercy of the creditors bank to refund the money. I told them I had messages from the buyer saying everything was in order the day he received it. They wouldn't help me.

I ended up suing the buyer who was out of state and had to pay for a process server plus filing a civil suit. Dude's father wrote me a letter and said I was suing a minor, and that he would reimburse my expenses. He said he clicked on the wrong transaction on his Pay Pal account when he filed his "not as described" complaint. Riiiiiight, sure you did buddy.

Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 1987
Size:  33.0 KB

Not sure how Regions can do this. Ask them for more information on the reversal. In network Zelle transactions are instantaneous, so there aren’t any return rights. Out of network, I think, are processed as POS transactions. Maybe the sender wasn’t using an in network banking app. Did you ask your sender about it?

I hate using zelle. I’d use any other service if possible. One letter mistake and poof money is gone.

Pro tip: when sending money to someone new always send one dollar and confirm they get it before sending the full amount

What we need is a non-sovereign, hard cap supply, global, immutable, decentralized, digital store of value.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Smoked Toag View Post
    Thread is not complete with a crypto warrior. Where have they been lately? I have no idea if it's doing good or bad, just noticed there's been no threads. I have a little bit of interest in it myself, but don't really monitor it.
    bitcoin is near ATH. $63-64k. Since COVID hit the Fed balance sheet has doubled and bitcoin is up 7x. Everyone knows what is going on. No need for threads.

Quote Originally Posted by MrKotter View Post
    They're lowering the 20k IRS reporting number to the magical $600 figure these idiots are enamored by.
    It's now $10K. They backed off of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoked Toag View Post
    I mean.....shouldn't they have been doing that anyway? And they aren't 'taxing' them straight off of the apps, they are going to have access to them so if you aren't reporting yo shit, they can bust you.

Again, I don't see the big deal unless you're already not claiming your money, and in that case, use straight cash homey, don't be a freaking idiot and leave a paper trail.
    Well, no. Not all cash app transactions are for purchasing. You pay bills & send family money, etc.

Was it a legit payment?

Quote Originally Posted by Quincy A. Wagstaff View Post
    What we need is a non-sovereign, hard cap supply, global, immutable, decentralized, digital store of value.
    We have one. It's been around since before there were governments It's called Gold.

No, child of boomers. Grandchild of the depression. Do not trust banks

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Are you ok with the government digging through your bank account?

ngmi

Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Bay
    We have one. It's been around since before there were governments It's called Gold.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	83B4BC18-0173-461E-AC18-68FA8E69B4E0.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	22458

Update: it reposted overnight.

They would just get a report of total deposits and total
    withdrawals. Not the details of your spending

And those are not being taxed. There are no new taxes in the bill with regard to cash apps