Do you really think Davis Wade is loud?

Honestly, yes it has the potential to be very loud. I do, however think that it could be much much louder without more fans and without more cowbell noise. While I absolutely love the cowbell, I believe it has crippled us as fans and contributes to the fact that it isn't near as loud as it could be. We forget we have voices. It will seem like I'm splitting hairs but I believe if our fans ever understood what is actually happening, it would change the volume level drastically. Our fan base doesn't understand that we can yell and ring the bells (at the same time) for maximum volume. Granted, it's not going to happen when you are getting skull drug by Alabama, and you are always going to have those fans who WILL NOT make any noise under any circumstances and don't even bring cowbells. Maybe A&M is on to something with "midnight yell" as weird as it may be, that place is rocki'n without cowbells.
    "It's better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you are not" -Andre Gide

1 out of 12 sixpackers like this post
    Real Nattys | Fake Nattys Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Itsaboutus View Post
    Honestly, yes it has the potential to be very loud. I do, however think that it could be much much louder without more fans and without more cowbell noise. While I absolutely love the cowbell, I believe it has crippled us as fans and contributes to the fact that it isn't near as loud as it could be. We forget we have voices. It will seem like I'm splitting hairs but I believe if our fans ever understood what is actually happening, it would change the volume level drastically. Our fan base doesn't understand that we can yell and ring the bells (at the same time) for maximum volume. Granted, it's not going to happen when you are getting skull drug by Alabama, and you are always going to have those fans who WILL NOT make any noise under any circumstances and don't even bring cowbells. Maybe A&M is on to something with "midnight yell" as weird as it may be, that place is rocki'n without cowbells.
    Spot on! I laughed when I read this. We used to have a family that sat in front of us at games. They never stood up, they didn't have cowbells and they golf clapped when we got a first down. They complained to us that we were to loud. During an LSU game they got security because we were yelling, "Go to H*ll LSU!" during the game along with a lot of our fans." Security came and talked with us and we said we would cut out the profanity. So we started yelling, "Go to LSU LSU!". I thought they were going to blow their tops.

1 out of 6 sixpackers like this post

I have two Alabama friends that went to the game Saturday and they said it was loud af.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

On TV it sounds like it gets louder just prior to a snap when people quit ringing and start cheering. I've been thinking this for a while but I like the mixture better.

I get what you're saying but a lot of people wouldn't make loud noise at all if they didn't ring a cowbell, so no, overall I don't think it cripples us. Sure it would be better if people rang bells AND yelled all game, of course, but I just don't think that's realistic. For the students, sure, but most people 40ish and over just don't have the stamina and/or desire to yell all game.

I've been to Bryant Denny in Tuscaloosa several times and while it can be louder than DWS at times due to having twice as many people, it's not louder on average than DWS because if it's not a big third down or a touchdown they aren't yelling. At least we have cowbells pretty much all the time on defensive downs. I see a lot of people wearing ear plugs in DWS. You don't see that very many places.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

It’s Goat….again.
    Can our fans be any MORE terrible?? DWS is routinely labeled as one of the toughest places to play, and loud as a mfer.

Serious, take a damn break.

10 out of 14 sixpackers like this post

It's as loud as any stadium in the country when we play winning football, and it's not very loud when we are getting face fu kked. Period.

Every other SEC stadium except Vanderbilt is the exact same way. I've been to Kentucky to see us play on years when they are down and you could hear a pin drop. This season it's sold out and loud because they are winning. Just win.

Why not both?

It is loud and just as loud as any other stadium or louder. When you go to every home game you get use to the cowbell so it isn't as bad. It is eye opening to someone who has never witness it when they finally do.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    I have two Alabama friends that went to the game Saturday and they said it was loud af.
    I was there it was not that loud.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoked Toag View Post
    Can our fans be any MORE terrible?? DWS is routinely labeled as one of the toughest places to play, and loud as a mfer.

Always a pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Smoked Toag View Post

“Terrible fans” don’t drive for two hours to watch their team play that they know for a fact will get demolished.

1 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

I think what you are saying...

Is that the cowbell creates a static wall of noise. There aren’t as many levels of noise at Davis wade. I actually wish we would yell throughout and then “bring out the bells” when it’s 3rd down and the visiting team is huddling or headed to the line. Gives me goose bumps thinking about how special the ringing would be if we mostly saved it for third down. I think it would create a major competitive advantage and just give an overall feeling that it’s a big big play.

I grew up in a tiny community with a sawmill right in the middle of it. It created this distinct background hum that you just forgot was there until the mill shut down for the day. Those first moments after that seemed as silent as death. I think cowbells are kind of like that. They create a monolithic mass of sound that when they fall silent all at once it makes the stadium seem quiet even if the fans are yelling. I also think that crowd noise is more effective when it grows as the QB gets over the ball. Seems to me the most effective use of bells would be to use em kind of like applause after a good play, a first down, coming out on the field etc. and not use them at all before a play so that we could use 'legal' crowd noise most effectively. I would imagine though that this is nearly impossible to orchestrate outside of a milkman cult. Price we pay for the tradition I suppose. Hail State!
    Last edited by thekimmer; 10-20-2021 at 09:09 AM.

There is one thing for sure though. People who claim ringing a cowbell is a lazy way to make noise have never held one over their head and shaken it for several hours.

2 whole hours? Want a cookie?

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

We have potential to get as loud as you'll ever hear in a stadium.

I believe it was the sack after the PI penalty that was called off early in the 1st quarter. Everyone was pissed about the flag being thrown, then after that sack the place erupted - you can literally feel the sound when it gets like that. The combination of cheers & cowbells. I can't imagine there's anything else like it in college football.

L4Dawg - Version 2.0
    Just like 90% of other stadiums, it's loud when we are winning and not when we aren't.

Hates Memphis

I prefer to say Scott Field is loud when we're winning. As for cowbells, the

problem is the sheer amount of times some people ring them. There's one segment that rings them every play even after a 1 yard gain to the running back out of the backfield. There's another segment that rings them after every play. Even if the other team scores. I will say the sound from cowbells to simply yelling before the snap is one of the coolest sounds on tv. Kudos for those who were trained on it and have trained newer students and fans. We may not get many things right but we've followed the rule well since day 1.

Maybe A&M is on to something with "midnight yell" as weird as it may be, that place is rocki'n without cowbells.
    They have 106,000 there...that makes a little difference in the volume don't you think?

you lost me at "A&M is on to something"... eff those weirdos...

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
    They have 106,000 there...that makes a little difference in the volume don't you think?
    Yes I do think that and already knew that. I wasn’t comparing our noise to theirs. I was just stating that them getting everyone on the same page works very well and we should do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by thekimmer View Post
    There is one thing for sure though. People who claim ringing a cowbell is a lazy way to make noise have never held one over their head and shaken it for several hours.
    33, been doing it since I was 5.