Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Matt Wyatt on the air raid

8 out of 8 sixpackers like this post
    Real Nattys | Fake Nattys Yes | No

He’s not wrong.

9 out of 9 sixpackers like this post

Let me guess. Matt tells a caller how dumb they are and he gets preachy about something wrong with the fan base.

6 out of 23 sixpackers like this post

Friday Fourplay Wizard ZombieKissinger's Avatar
    This has been consistently my take from the beginning as well. I do think that what Mullen was doing could have produced over .500 if he wasn’t looking for new jobs every year, especially the year after he left, but I’m on board with trying this and not half assing it. I’ll take five years of it and see what happens. 8-4 running teams for the rest of my life just doesn’t sound interesting

13 out of 13 sixpackers like this post

Aint nobody got time for 5 years anymore. And the offense we run now is incredibly boring.

6 out of 25 sixpackers like this post

He is exactly right. And Mullen didn't even average 8 and 4. He got slightly over 7 wins a year. Losing record in conference. Matt does a great job of calling it what it is

7 out of 9 sixpackers like this post

I mean, Mississippi State University doesn't try to be better. He's wrong. He's got the same terrible attitude of the boomer fan base that doesn't realize it's not 1987 anymore.

2 out of 27 sixpackers like this post

Matt is absolutely right.

Quote Originally Posted by horshack View Post
    And people need to realize that this can provide the high side of the results we’ve historically experienced and give us a chance to have a special year every now and then. State football is in an exciting place.

5 out of 9 sixpackers like this post

You people willing to fold tent because poor little state doesn't invest in athletics like others are sad. You guys realize John Cohen was sitting on $15-20MM per year right? Just imagine if he put some of that into football staffing and recruiting like other schools. Then we wouldn't have the smallest recruiting budget and fewest coaches. What if we had a head coach that wasnt saying he doesn't want an IPF and larger recruiting staff. What if Leach hired an OC. Maybe someone calling plays in a scheme that isn't 30+ years old with no ability to adjust would help. Dan Mullen won his share of games before flaming out to chase checks. It can be done. If you don't believe it, you should remove yourself from MSU sports related sites. Damn guys! You're a bunch of 17ing quitters! Holy shit! Where's the Tylenol?
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 10-23-2021 at 05:47 AM.

1 out of 17 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by gwadSIG View Post
    Let me guess. Matt tells a caller how dumb they are and he gets preachy about something wrong with the fan base.
    He stated facts

10 out of 12 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Kojak View Post
    And people need to realize that this can provide the high side of the results we’ve historically experienced and give us a chance to have a special year every now and then. State football is in an exciting place.
    Despite all of Matt’s rambling, We are 12th in scoring offense in the SEC. There is a huge disconnect between Leach fanatics and the rest of the folks. They all think we want to just go back to the power I or triple option. But the truth is we are running an outdated system, that has about 7-8 plays, and no “real” threat of a running component. It’d be like telling all of our pitchers we’re only going to throw fastballs this year and only focus on locating them.

We are not anti-pass, we are anti-boring. And for the folks that go along with the “it takes 4-5 years to get it going,” good luck with that. We’re about to lose 3 starters on the OLine, and maybe our best receiver. This fantasy of having a team every blue moon with experienced 4 year starters across the board is a pipe dream, especially with the revolving door that’s the transfer portal.

9 out of 18 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by 8dog View Post
    Aint nobody got time for 5 years anymore. And the offense we run now is incredibly boring.
    What does this even mean?? We've been playing football mostly like shit for over 100 years and we don't have 5 years to try something that's worked mostly well in places that generally play football even shittier than we do??

27 out of 29 sixpackers like this post

I <3 the St Louis Cardinals Mobile Bay's Avatar
    How many penalties has that OL caused? Perhaps losing those starters will be addition by subtraction.

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Yes losing a first round LT will make us much better.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by msugolf View Post
    Despite all of Matt’s rambling, We are 12th in scoring offense in the SEC. There is a huge disconnect between Leach fanatics and the rest of the folks. They all think we want to just go back to the power I or triple option. But the truth is we are running an outdated system, that has about 7-8 plays, and no “real” threat of a running component. It’d be like telling all of our pitchers we’re only going to throw fastballs this year and only focus on locating them.

We are not anti-pass, we are anti-boring. And for the folks that go along with the “it takes 4-5 years to get it going,” good luck with that. We’re about to lose 3 starters on the OLine, and maybe our best receiver. This fantasy of having a team every blue moon with experienced 4 year starters across the board is a pipe dream, especially with the revolving door that’s the transfer portal.
    Boring is right.

12th in yds/play in sec
    12th in plays over 10 yds
    13th in plays over 20
    14th in plays over 30

8 out of 8 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    You people willing to fold tent because poor little state doesn't invest in athletics like others are sad. You guys realize John Cohen was sitting on $15-20MM per year right? Just imagine if he put some of that into football staffing and recruiting like other schools. Then we wouldn't have the smallest recruiting budget and fewest coaches. What if we had a head coach that wasnt saying he doesn't want an IPF and larger recruiting staff. What if Leach hired an OC. Maybe someone calling plays in a scheme that isn't 30+ years old with no ability to adjust would help. Dan Mullen won his share of games before flaming out to chase checks. It can be done. If you don't believe it, you should remove yourself from MSU sports related sites. Damn guys! You're a bunch of 17ing quitters! Holy shit! Where's the Tylenol?
    ….and the cooter has pooted…

2 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by msugolf View Post

This right here!!

I also take offense to Matt's comments about us not out recruiting OM. We have more players in the NFL than they do currently. Also Matt's income is tied to MSU and for him to rant like he did about what we can't do was kinda toting the old LT narrative. Say what you want about the cheerleader and The ninja they never once fell back on well look at our past..
    So I actually hate this take by Wyatt. Drips of we po ol mithippi tate

10 out of 12 sixpackers like this post

Matt was pretty misleading about our history. Yes, Jackie was only a .500 coach here, but it took an 8-27 collapse the last 3 years to get down to .500. His first 10 years, he was 67-48-2 (40-38-1 SEC). And Mullen wasn't "a few games over .500", he was 69-46 (33-39 in the toughest division in college football history). Both those coaches prove you CAN be better than a .500 team for a sustained period of time at Mississippi State. I'm tired of people lowering the bar for Mike Leach.

10 out of 10 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Kojak View Post
    ...State football is in an exciting place.
    Settle down Kojak. I don't think it's time to pull the ripcord on Leach, but there is a legitimate argument to question how successful he will be at Mississippi State. I still want to see how it goes against Kentucky and Arkansas. Last year was a shit show against both. I'm not even saying that we have to win, just not get crushed. My biggest fear is several rival coaches having a year in and out game plan to shut down Leach's air raid like Washington did.

There are only 3 conference games every year where we will not have a distinct talent disadvantage (Kentucky, Arkansas, and Ole Miss.) The key to Leach's tenure is going to be how we play against those types of teams. It's not realistic to expect to beat the big boys year in and out. Leach has to win those games more often than not. Every coach does. If any one or two of those 3 have the kryptonite, it's game over. If not... Arrgghhh.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Mississippi State’s all-time football record is 568-583-36. Matt was pretty much dead on. MSU is about a .500 team historically, and in SEC play, probably about a .300 team. Even Dan Mullen, regarded as one of our best coaches ever, had a 33-39 SEC record. We are trying something different because we have to. Will it work? I think it will, but it’s not a finished product yet. The lack of patience with Leach and this system is astounding to me. Last year was a wash because of Covid so this is his first normal season. And people are already wanting him fired, comparing this to the Croom years and saying we should never have canned Morehead. It’s crazy.

7 out of 7 sixpackers like this post

I say we fahr Leach and Cohen and har Mullins bak. If we offer him 10 million a year he can come back and we can start winning the SEC again like we did when he was here. Holloway up the middle.

3 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by FlotownDawg View Post
    Mississippi State’s all-time football record is 568-583-36. Matt was pretty much dead on. MSU is about a .500 team historically, and in SEC play, probably about a .300 team. Even Dan Mullen, regarded as one of our best coaches ever, had a 33-39 SEC record. We are trying something different because we have to. Will it work? I think it will, but it’s not a finished product yet. The lack of patience with Leach and this system is astounding to me. Last year was a wash because of Covid so this is his first normal season. And people are already wanting him fired, comparing this to the Croom years and saying we should never have canned Morehead. It’s crazy.
    That record is skewed because we had to forfeit not vacate actual wins during Tyler's era. Take those wins are we are a .500 football program.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

SixPack's Official Farmer DesotoCountyDawg's Avatar
    Then let it play out and see what happens. You’ve made it pretty clear you don’t like Mike Leach and that’s fine but let’s see how the rest of the season goes before we start slitting our wrists.

Which is exactly what Matt said. We are a .500 football program. I didn’t look up our overall SEC record, but I imagine it’s well below .500.

He's right. It can work. But, you have to have the right players. He may not get the right players. If Rogers can't play who do we have to step up. So the scheme can work, but we may not get players to make it work. Mullen won with Relf. Jackie couldn't get a good QB yet we won some games (I'm ignoring his last years). Mullen's offense was awesome with Fitz, someone no other SEC team wanted and someone who made us cringe when he threw downfield. Dude could run, though, and was one of my favorite State players to watch. How many QB's with Dak's talent have we gotten over the years? Leach needs a talented QB who can throw and avoid throwing interceptions. We'll see.

I don't know what you guys have been watching all these years, but the one I have been watching is normally a shit show. Yeah, Jackie had it going on for 2 whole years, wow. We beat Bama a couple times when they were garbage. Mullen was good 3 years. The rest were 6 and 7 or 7 and 6 years. The team is been watching losing most of the SEC games they play. Thank God for La Tech and the rest of the non cons. This may not work out but anyone that honestly is ready to pull the plug is a moron. Give a few years and you may be right in the long run. But Cohen ain't firing Leach because he isn't stupid. So learn to love it. Woooooo!!!!!

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by patdog View Post
    Matt was pretty misleading about our history. Yes, Jackie was only a .500 coach here, but it took an 8-27 collapse the last 3 years to get down to .500. His first 10 years, he was 67-48-2 (40-38-1 SEC). And Mullen wasn't "a few games over .500", he was 69-46 (33-39 in the toughest division in college football history). Both those coaches prove you CAN be better than a .500 team for a sustained period of time at Mississippi State. I'm tired of people lowering the bar for Mike Leach.
    I agree that Matt was not fully fair to Mullen. It's pretty clear he was the best coach at MSU in the past 60 years at least and he deserves that credit.

I feel differently on Jackie. I love him because he proved to us as fans that we could be winners in football. But those last years were an unmitigated disaster that you don't get to ignore because they were the beginning of nearly a decade back in the football wilderness.

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

My thoughts.... he really wants to send the message since he took the time to upload one caller to YouTube.

He believes MSU is an average sec football program and always will be. Therefore we have to run Leach's gimmick to win more than our historical average. However these are not original thoughts. Bounds has said the same in so many words. They are both repeating the company line from the Bryan Building.

Regardless of all that. The 6 games left will tell the tale.

Twitter
    @SixPackSpeak
    One thing I noticed - he had Sherrills record wrong at State. He was 67-48-2.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    My thoughts.... he really wants to send the message since he took the time to upload one caller to YouTube.

He believes MSU is an average sec football program and always will be. Therefore we have to run Leach's gimmick to win more than our historical average. However these are not original thoughts. Bounds has said the same in so many words. They are both repeating the company line from the Bryan Building.

Regardless of all that. The 6 games left will tell the tale.
    Actually, history says Mississippi State is a below average SEC football program. What Matt is pretty clearly saying is we will never have the budget to even be consistently average unless we do something different from the above average programs with significantly more resources. That's what Leach and the air raid gives us a chance to do.

Quote Originally Posted by dawgstudent View Post
    One thing I noticed - he had Sherrills record wrong at State. He was 67-48-2.
    He was actually 75-75-2

Quote Originally Posted by She Mate Me View Post
    Actually, history says Mississippi State is a below average SEC football program. What Matt is pretty clearly saying is we will never have the budget to even be consistently average unless we do something different from the above average programs with significantly more resources. That's what Leach and the air raid gives us a chance to do.
    I get the company line is.... "doing something different."

however there is a false narrative being floated .... "we ain't never won doing it the old way." That simply isn't true. Sherrill and Mullen elevated the program running the ball.

3 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by 8dog View Post
    We had the biggest comeback in school history earlier this year. We dominated a team that is currently 5-1 and ranked 18th. We've had 3 other games 1 possession games.

Granted, we shouldn't even have been behind in most of those games. I just don't think "boring" is a good description for the offense. if we can see more of the 4th quarter offense earlier in the games, we could be quite entertaining..

I'm not a Leach fan at all. I've just decided to embrace the situation and try to have fun. I'm willing to be patient and see what develops.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    I get the company line is.... "doing something different."

however there is a false narrative being floated .... "we ain't never won doing it the old way." That simply isn't true. Sherrill and Mullen elevated the program running the ball.
    Mullen may well have been the best HC in MSU history. Full credit to him and guys like that are very hard to find.

Sherrill was also obviously a very good coach. Won in numerous places. But if we're being honest he finished at .500 playing in a significantly weaker SEC West than the one we're facing today.

I stand by what I said.

He didn’t say we never out recruit OM individually. His point was that we’re never going to out recruit Bama, Auburn, LSU, A&M, etc. (ie the whole division) and be the most talented team in the division.

One thing failed to mention is that at the same time Ole Miss also has a second year coach who has his team almost in the top ten with a Heisman trophy candidate at qb. This is why people get tired of hearing the wait five years approach before judging.

4 out of 6 sixpackers like this post

My biggest problem with Leach right now is that it has gotten apparent that we've spent very little to no time getting an adequate (note I said just adequate) backup QB ready. I got the fact that it takes a tremendous amount of repetition to run this offense correctly but.....

2 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by bulldoghair View Post
    One thing failed to mention is that at the same time Ole Miss also has a second year coach who has his team almost in the top ten with a Heisman trophy candidate at qb. This is why people get tired of hearing the wait five years approach before judging.
    He didn't recruit that Heisman candidate, and if you took that single player off the Ole Miss team, MSU is likely the better team. The gulf between us and Ole Miss is pretty shallow.

Quote Originally Posted by She Mate Me View Post
    What does this even mean?? We've been playing football mostly like shit for over 100 years and we don't have 5 years to try something that's worked mostly well in places that generally play football even shittier than we do??
    Amen.

4 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    I mean, Mississippi State University doesn't try to be better. He's wrong. He's got the same terrible attitude of the boomer fan base that doesn't realize it's not 1987 anymore.
    It “not being 1987 anymore” means that due to SEC Network money we are now head and shoulders above most of the G5 teams that used to give us fits (looking at you, USM). The results on the field under our past 3 coaches have proven that out. But we are still every bit as far behind the rest of the money teams in the league (which is everybody except Vandy, UK, OM, and Mizzou) as we were then from a resource standpoint….perhaps even moreso with the addition of A&M and soon OU / TX. Even Arkansas has a Top 20 AD by revenue, and they weren’t around in 1987 either. And none of that is ever going to change.