A Little Sunday SEC Football Talk

It strikes me that the SEC has pretty clearly divided into 3 distinct groups...

2 NC contenders - UGA & Bama

3 Runts of the Litter - USC & Mizzou of Columbia, and Vandy of the Hind Tit.

9 still sorting themselves out - Ole Miss, Auburn, Kentucky and TAMU topping the sort. Florida, LSU, Arkansas, Tennessee & MSU trying to figure out whether their good version can show up every Saturday rather than just here and there.

We have already beaten one of the top of the sort teams on their home field and get the other 3 among our last 5 games with Arkansas thrown in as well.

If State can beat A&M on the road we are capable of winning every game remaining on our schedule. I don't know the exact odds, but I would think if Vegas put odds on it we are pretty likely to get to 6 wins just by picking off one of the 4 games we will be single digit dogs in.

What's going to be interesting is seeing if we can find something consistent and finish this thing out threatening to win 8 games. Our best win is better than Ole Miss's best, but obviously our two worst losses are bad and Ole Miss doesn't have a single bad loss.

I'm much more interested to watch it play out for these middle 9 teams than I am to see what happens at the top. I'm still not too sure the top of that group is much better than the bottom. These nine teams feel really close. I hope we find the consistency we need.

Truth is we have played two good games and a decent half in our last 3 games, but that terrible 2nd Half last week in Starkville and an everlasting Memphis hangover is dragging expectations.

I'm cautiously optimistic about UK. It's a really important game because a win frees us up to think much bigger.
    Last edited by She Mate Me; 10-24-2021 at 02:19 PM.

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post
    Real Nattys | Fake Nattys Yes | No

On A&M. I know they were a bit caught up in the moment but during the A&M / Bama game (I believe) one of the announcers said of A&M "15 of the top 25 teams in the country would swap talent with A&M tomorrow" . Kind of stuck with me because I believe it. Like us they've been a hard team to figure and anyone who has them down as an automatic win for the sharts has their head up their ass.

Quote Originally Posted by She Mate Me View Post
    It strikes me that the SEC has pretty clearly divided into 3 distinct groups...

2 NC contenders - UGA & Bama

3 Runts of the Litter - USC & Mizzou of Columbia, and Vandy of the Hind Tit.

9 still sorting themselves out - Ole Miss, Auburn, Kentucky and TAMU topping the sort. Florida, LSU, Arkansas, Tennessee & MSU trying to figure out whether their good version can show up every Saturday rather than just here and there.

We have already beaten one of the top of the sort teams on their home field and get the other 3 among our last 5 games with Arkansas thrown in as well.

If State can beat A&M on the road we are capable of winning every game remaining on our schedule. I don't know the exact odds, but I would think if Vegas put odds on it we are pretty likely to get to 6 wins just by picking off one of the 4 games we will be single digit dogs in.

What's going to be interesting is seeing if we can find something consistent and finish this thing out threatening to win 8 games. Our best win is better than Ole Miss's best, but obviously our two worst losses are bad and Ole Miss doesn't have a single bad loss.

I'm much more interested to watch it play out for these middle 9 teams than I am to see what happens at the top. I'm still not too sure the top of that group is much better than the bottom. These nine teams feel really close. I hope we find the consistency we need.

Truth is we have played two good games and a decent half in our last 3 games, but that terrible 2nd Half last week in Starkville and an everlasting Memphis hangover is dragging expectations.

I'm cautiously optimistic about UK. It's a really important game because a win frees us up to think much bigger.
    Florida is not in the elite category but they are still in a class above us. And at 6-1 I wouldnít really say that Mississippi is trying to figure it out. Iíd much rather be where they are than having that loss to Memphis.

College fb is crazy this year though. Pittsburgh has a legit chance of going 11-1 with their only loss being Western Michigan.

Those people seem to have forgotten that they just missed the playoffs last year at 9-1 and entered the season around #7. They'll be a problem for everybody they play.

Twitter
    @stephenedavis
    If we do three things we can win until the Egg Bowl:

Stop turning the ball over
    Stop the penalties (especially OL! At this point in the season you should not make them unless you have zero discipline and skill!)
    Stop giving up the big plays on defense.

I just don't see us beating the Kernel BearSharks and holding their offense unless they have injuries. Corrall tweaked an ankle yesterday and that never heals well until you are not playing. It may be just a tweak but it's one of those things that nags and negatively affects the player's ability to make those tough plays.
    Donít go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.Ē Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by 047Dog View Post
    Florida is not in the elite category but they are still in a class above us. And at 6-1 I wouldn’t really say that Mississippi is trying to figure it out. I’d much rather be where they are than having that loss to Memphis.

College fb is crazy this year though. Pittsburgh has a legit chance of going 11-1 with their only loss being Western Michigan.
    Florida has been better than us, but not enough to put them in another class.

The line on the UK game proves my point. We are clearly the worst of the 9 mid tier teams based on results, yet we are a slight favorite over AP #12 Kentucky, who has already whipped Florida. These 9 teams are close.

Ole Miss has produced results (I didn't say they were one of the ones trying to figure it out), but they are not significantly better than the other mid tier teams on any given Saturday and they aren't close to the Top 2. They did look good Saturday, full credit.

Edited to add, Florida, TAMU, Auburn and LSU have clear talent advantages over the other 5, but their results this year have certainly not separated them. Higher ceilings, but results haven't been there for them.
    Last edited by She Mate Me; 10-24-2021 at 03:48 PM.

SixPack's Official Farmer DesotoCountyDawg's Avatar
    Itís the Egg Bowl, anything can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by IBleedMaroonDawg View Post
    If we do three things we can win until the Egg Bowl:

Stop turning the ball over
    Stop the penalties (especially OL! At this point in the season you should not make them unless you have zero discipline and skill!)
    Stop giving up the big plays on defense.

I just don't see us beating the Kernel BearSharks and holding their offense unless they have injuries. Corrall tweaked an ankle yesterday and that never heals well until you are not playing. It may be just a tweak but it's one of those things that nags and negatively affects the player's ability to make those tough plays.
    I donít think we move the ball against Auburn. And last year we were one of that only teams that made Nix look like a legit quarterback. I think that is going to be an ugly loss on the Plains.

We are a bad call and a stupid penalty away from being 6-1 and ranked in the top 15. We are favored against the No. 12 team in the nation this year.

We arenít a bad team.

4 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by 615dawg View Post
    We are a bad call and a stupid penalty away from being 6-1 and ranked in the top 15. We are favored against the No. 12 team in the nation this year.

We aren’t a bad team.
    Just one small quibble.

I think the adjective "horrendous" should be the go to when describing that particular call.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

The biggest difference in the group of 9 is that the bearsharks have a game changing qb. No one else does.