ND to ACC finally?

Does Kelly's departure to greener (corndog smelling) pasture push ND to finally join a conference to strengthen their position in the CFP going forward? With a conference title game appearance this year, they would stand a much greater chance of making the Playoff. Kelly realized that and new he had a ceiling at ND. He left to get a chance at a championship at LSU.

Liberty | Liberty Bowl Yes | No

Have you been following college football for very long?

Nothing short of Jesus Christ or the Pope himself coming down and saying Notre Dame should join a conference will make that happen...

... and maybe not even the Pope.

A conference title game isnít going to help them get better players, and better players is what they need in order to win the CFP.

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Itís GoatÖ.again.
    No, but if Cincinnati wins Saturday, and the rest of the chalk holds, and we get a playoff of Georgia, Michigan, Oklahoma State and Cincinnati, that might change some things. Theoretically, if they were in the ACC, they'd be playing in a championship game and may get a bump from that. And even if something happened to Michigan, Oklahoma State or Cincinnati, will Notre Dame at 1 loss, get the nod over Alabama with 2 losses, and their loss was to the #1 seed in an extra game that Notre Dame didn't have to play?

I don't think so. Unless Bama is blown out, they will take that last spot over Notre Dame. If 2 of the top 4 lose, then all bets are off (unless it's Georgia).

I know Notre Dame can look at their appearances in the playoff and say, hey, we don't need a conference because we can make the playoff. Well yeah, if you go undefeated. What if you mess up and drop one like this year?

This may not be enough though, because their TV deal and keeping the national independent brand may be more attractive. They really need to win a title at some point though, which just got harder with Kelly leaving.
    Last edited by Smoked Toag; 11-30-2021 at 02:37 PM.

1 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

SixPack's Official Farmer DesotoCountyDawg's Avatar
    They are a semi member of the ACC anyway as it is now. Why go all the way when you can take in the TV money for yourself?
    Last edited by DesotoCountyDawg; 11-30-2021 at 03:00 PM.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Kelly left because it will be much easier to get elite talent at LSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoked Toag View Post
    No, but if Cincinnati wins Saturday, and the rest of the chalk holds, and we get a playoff of Georgia, Michigan, Oklahoma State and Cincinnati, that might change some things. Theoretically, if they were in the ACC, they'd be playing in a championship game and may get a bump from that. And even if something happened to Michigan, Oklahoma State or Cincinnati, will Notre Dame at 1 loss, get the nod over Alabama with 2 losses, and their loss was to the #1 seed in an extra game that Notre Dame didn't have to play?

I don't think so. Unless Bama is blown out, they will take that last spot over Notre Dame. If 2 of the top 4 lose, then all bets are off (unless it's Georgia).

I know Notre Dame can look at their appearances in the playoff and say, hey, we don't need a conference because we can make the playoff. Well yeah, if you go undefeated. What if you mess up and drop one like this year?

This may not be enough though, because their TV deal and keeping the national independent brand may be more attractive. They really need to win a title at some point though, which just got harder with Kelly leaving.
    I have a sick feeling the committee is going to put ND in over Cincinnati.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by DesotoCountyDawg View Post
    They a semi member of the ACC anyway as it is now. Why go all the way when you can take in the TV money for yourself?
    Because joining for football would give them access to the conference championship game, which would be one more game against a typically talented team and that could give them a boost.

I dont think they will do that or are interested because like you mention- the TV money is great. Also, once the CFP expands to 8(or 12?), they will be right in the mix of things without joining or having to play the conference championship.

Quote Originally Posted by GloryDawg View Post
    That would be a shame (assuming Cincinnati takes care of Houston).

Itís GoatÖ.again.
    Quote Originally Posted by GloryDawg View Post
    There's no way, no basis for it. Cincinnati is already ahead of them and Notre Dame isn't playing anymore games. Not to mention the media would crucify them.

1 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

There's no way, no basis for it. Cincinnati is already ahead of them and Notre Dame isn't playing anymore games. Not to mention the media would crucify them.
    I hope you right.

There has never been a 2 loss team in the CFP. I don't see that changing this year.

There have been 11 one or two loss P5 conference champions snubbed by the committee.

There is no way Bama is getting into the CFP if they lose to Georgia on Saturday. I know we're used to them being there since they've only been left out once, but they are out even with a close loss to Jawja. No way a 2 loss non-champ is in.

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Yes the academic restrictions at ND are another hurdle that wonít be there at LSU

L4Dawg - Version 2.0
    As long as Notre Dame has NBC broadcasting their home games they aren't likely to join a conference in football. If that deal ever falls through and isn't replaced then they probably would have to pull the trigger.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Itís GoatÖ.again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgg View Post
    There has never been a 2 loss team in the CFP. I don't see that changing this year.

There have been 11 one or two loss P5 conference champions snubbed by the committee.

There is no way Bama is getting into the CFP if they lose to Georgia on Saturday. I know we're used to them being there since they've only been left out once, but they are out even with a close loss to Jawja. No way a 2 loss non-champ is in.
    Auburn was going to make the playoff in 2017 had they won the SEC title.

0 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

SixPack's Official Farmer DesotoCountyDawg's Avatar
    Year in and year out Notre Dame has a pretty strong schedule. They really donít need a conference championship to boost their resume.

Auburn was going to make the playoff in 2017 had they won the SEC title.
    If Wisconsin had beaten Ohio State to win the Big Ten, they wouldn't have. In any case, Auburn would have been a 2 loss Conference Champion. We're talking about Alabama going in as a 2 loss non-Champion, which, again, I could be wrong, but a two loss non champion seems like a stretch.

ND may back into a 4 team playoff with an awful resume. Why would they sign up giving up scheduling control and a champ game?
    Last edited by 8dog; 11-30-2021 at 05:41 PM.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgg View Post
    If Wisconsin had beaten Ohio State to win the Big Ten, they wouldn't have. In any case, Auburn would have been a 2 loss Conference Champion. We're talking about Alabama going in as a 2 loss non-Champion, which, again, I could be wrong, but a two loss non champion seems like a stretch.
    Nope, they still would have. They were #2 in the rankings heading into Championship Saturday. They would have had to be jumped by 2 other teams in addition to Wisconsin or Ohio State. This is absolutely the proof that you will be provided a reasonable amount of forgiveness by the committee if you play a strong schedule in a tough conference.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E5AF0304-80F9-4B0E-AC9D-44634938820A.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	23148

What happens if
    -Iowa beats mich
    -Houston beats Cincinnati
    -Bama losses
    -Baylor beats OSU

Georgia, Bama, ND and then either Michigan, Oregon or Baylor

Quote Originally Posted by Go Budaw View Post
    Nope, they still would have. They were #2 in the rankings heading into Championship Saturday. They would have had to be jumped by 2 other teams in addition to Wisconsin or Ohio State. This is absolutely the proof that you will be provided a reasonable amount of forgiveness by the committee if you play a strong schedule in a tough conference.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E5AF0304-80F9-4B0E-AC9D-44634938820A.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	23148
    Ok, I stand corrected. I still think itís a situation where they made it an either Georgia or Auburn slot. I still donít think a 2 loss non champion Alabama gets in over any of the following:
    1 loss Notre Dame
    1 loss Big 12 Champ OK State
    1 loss Big Ten Champ Michigan
    Undefeated Cincinnati

If they get blown out, they may not make it in over a 2 loss Big Ten Champ Iowa or a 2 loss Big 12 Champ Baylor.

Twitter
    prdubya
    Quote Originally Posted by PBDog View Post
    What happens if
    -Iowa beats mich
    -Houston beats Cincinnati
    -Bama losses
    -Baylor beats OSU
    Bama needs this level absolute chaos to make it in... If they lose, they need just all these results to hold to have a chance. How on earth do you put Bama in as the #4 seed if they lose to UGA in Atlanta, where they would have to face... [drumroll] UGA again?

Bama only makes it with absolutely nuts level of losses by everyone else that would get them to a #2 or #3 seed where they wouldn't play UGA until the Championship.