SixPack's Official Farmer DesotoCountyDawg's Avatar

Teddy Knox in the portal.

Nm

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post
    Liberty | Liberty Bowl Yes | No

shit. I had high hopes for Knox this year

Itís GoatÖ.again.
    That one kinda sucks. Guess it depends on where he goes, had to be based on playing time. If all these dudes transfer based on early PT they are going to be giving up good opportunities.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

You don't sign this quality of WR and then he leave after one year and be happy about it.

We should have played him last year more than we did.

1 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Obsessed with John Cohen
    Leach is like ďwhat number was heĒ?

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Itís GoatÖ.again.
    Quote Originally Posted by 57stratdawg View Post
    Considering that RaRa Thomas got to play as a freshman, I don't see how your claim can be backed up with evidence. That's why I say we will need to see where he goes. If he goes to Houston, then perhaps he's just another overrated TX recruit. If he goes to LSU, well, maybe you are right. But it's hard to tell anything right now unless you were at practice.

The transfer portal is going to make it to where every Louisiana kid MSU or OM signs, the fans have to worry every offseason about them transferring to LSU. Which is my guess on where Knox winds up. The draw to Death Valley for Louisiana kids is STRONG.

That one sucks for you guys. He was a heck of a good looking prospect coming out of high school.
    Non-Servant Heart Haver

1 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Itís backed up with the fact that heís not going to be on the roster in 2022. We need to make the program better in 2023 & 2024 by playing kids, not redshirting them. We had more than enough snaps available.

2 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

I don't get worked up over players like this transferring. He didn't see the field for a reason. Same thing with Janari Dean, and Cooley. Time will tell, I guess.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by D4L View Post
    I don't get worked up over players like this transferring. He didn't see the field for a reason. Same thing with Janari Dean, and Cooley. Time will tell, I guess.
    Thereís another side to that coin partner. That means we canít be too excited about anyone transferring in because they didnít see the field for a reason either.

Quote Originally Posted by 57stratdawg View Post
    He should've been better

Quote Originally Posted by oxfordrebel22 View Post
    The transfer portal is going to make it to where every Louisiana kid MSU or OM signs, the fans have to worry every offseason about them transferring to LSU. Which is my guess on where Knox winds up. The draw to Death Valley for Louisiana kids is STRONG.

That one sucks for you guys. He was a heck of a good looking prospect coming out of high school.
    He's not going to LSU.

Itís GoatÖ.again.
    Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    Thereís another side to that coin partner. That means we canít be too excited about anyone transferring in because they didnít see the field for a reason either.
    Not entirely true, assuming we are taking folks from the SEC haveís. Their talent is going to be better overall than the guys we lose due to lack of PT.

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

I think it will take about 5 years to see the difference the transfer portal makes. For us, I think we have benefited. In 5 years, I’d like to see what the spreadsheet looks like from guys we lost vs replaced. Both overall and by position where applicable. We are going to be a better, deeper program because of it. Look at Lashley. It’s obvious why he ever saw the field at bama. Saban would have needed weekly quadruple bypass if he started (no pun intended). But he was obviously better than what we had.

There’s going to be occasions where we don’t immediately replace a WR or QB (for example) that leaves. We can selectively use it as positional balance. Just because a WR leaves doesn’t mean we have to get another WR. We may be decimated at OL. This is a great way for us to get experienced players at a needed position. The NCAA should have approved it years ago for this reason alone.

Quote Originally Posted by oxfordrebel22 View Post
    If Knox can't get playing time at State with 2 & 3 star WR competition. Good luck to him beating out the 5 or more 4 & 5 star WRs on LSU's roster.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

It's really pretty dumb to redshirt a kid who can contribute at all with the portal. You've not likely to keep them for 5 years in today's world anyway. If he's really not good enough to contribute anything in 5 games, it's probably not a great loss.

As it has been forever, it's all about having the right HC calling the shots.

How are we going to be better though if we just play kids to play them every year even if they arenít the best players? Wouldnít that inherently make us worse?

RaRa and Rufus got PT as freshmen this year. I know Knox was an inside receiver and even Calvin struggled to get a ton of snaps with Williams and Walley there but it couldíve been something as simple as him just not understanding the scheme and not performing well enough to get PT over those guys. Not like Leach is keeping freshmen off the field. Getting two more experienced transfers in probably didnít sit well with him Iím assuming. Wish he wouldíve stuck it out. Kid has impressive speed.

Quote Originally Posted by NWADog View Post
    RaRa and Rufus got PT as freshmen this year. I know Knox was an inside receiver and even Calvin struggled to get a ton of snaps with Williams and Walley there but it couldíve been something as simple as him just not understanding the scheme and not performing well enough to get PT over those guys. Not like Leach is keeping freshmen off the field. Getting two more experienced transfers in probably didnít sit well with him Iím assuming. Wish he wouldíve stuck it out. Kid has impressive speed.
    What two experienced transfers? One caught a couple passes and the other redshirt.

It's more about satiating the player in the short term for the long term payout. Yeah. Modern athletics is becoming that lame.
    90 percent of college football teams do not cheat...the other 10 percent are ranked.

I guess not much more experienced but still all had more reps than he did

With Leach, it has become pretty obvious that the best player will play. The "best player" does not mean the best star rating or pre-MSU rating. That means whoever grasps the system and performs the best day in and day out will be playing.

If players leave because they are not playing, then they clearly were not good enough to play--regardless of their incoming hype.

My guess is 1) He couldn't read/react/adjust to coverage properly or 2) Dropped too many balls. Tangible #1 for a Leach WR is you MUST catch the ball....every time. If you show you can do that, then you have to show you can make the other adjustments and proper reads.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

I'm never concerned when players who weren't playing leave. Leach has had more success bringing players in from the portal than losses from players leaving.

I agree with your assessment. If he wasn't getting playing time with the new rules for red shirts then their was a problem with him learning the system. It is definitely different than just running routes like he did in high school. Adjusting to the zone defense is tough for new players coming into our program but it is what they will see if they make it to the NFL.
    Formerly Ranchdawg