I <3 the St Louis Cardinals Mobile Bay's Avatar

Grilling fish for Crazy Cotton

Earlier thread was locked. But in there was an innocuous question about cooking fish on a gas/charcoal grill posted by Crazy Cotton. Yes Crazy, you can grill fish on an open grill or fire. You need a basket like the one here.

https://www.amazon.com/ORDORA-Portab.../dp/B081CKP211

It holds the fish together for you. I have no idea if this is a good one or not, it's just the first link I come to when I google fish grilling basket.

MSU 2021 | MSU 2022 Yes | No

I grill reds, snapper, trout, flounder etc all the time, I just use tin foil with no issue. I brush the fish in melted butter before I season and itís no problem.
    Blackened in a skillet is the best way to me though. Same process but I like it blackened over grilled
    Last edited by Uncle Ruckus; 01-29-2022 at 10:30 AM.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

I'll say it again...Grillgrates. https://www.grillgrate.com/
    90 percent of college football teams do not cheat...the other 10 percent are ranked.

Same here, punch some holes in a piece of foil that's bigger than your fillets so the juices can drip and add that smoked flavor and you can use the excess to fold over and flip the fillets. I have 2 baskets but never use them

I also like soaking a cedar plank and putting the fish directly on it. Works really well with salmon.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Or do it on the half shell.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Educate me on grill grates please, I don't get them? I don't have flare up problems unless I'm using plain ole cheap ground beef, which is never. For me, "grill marks" are the most oversold term in outdoor cooking because they add nothing, just ask a blind man. So other than prevent flare ups and add worthless "grill marks" what do they add? For my favorite Weber Kettle that cost under $200 these grates are $150? I'm not opposed if there's something I'm missing but that sounds like a lot of gimmick to me

I <3 the St Louis Cardinals Mobile Bay's Avatar
    I have still never caught a red. I have wanted to try one that way for a while now.

First, grill marks are not color. They are flavor (Maillard reaction). If you don't agree with that, we can't have this conversation. Secondarily, they hold heat much better so you get a better cook. 3rd, they have a flat side so you can do fish, bacon, etc. You can just about do anything a Blackstone will do except rice and eggs. Lastly, when cooking on the grooved sides, the drippings hitting the grill do add significant grilled flavor to the food.
    90 percent of college football teams do not cheat...the other 10 percent are ranked.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Bay View Post
    I have still never caught a red. I have wanted to try one that way for a while now.
    Well then, you havenít lived. And yes, half shell is the way to go as long as they are 22 inches or less.

Best redfish recipe...on the halfshell in a foil boat, add pats of butter to the top of the fillet, sprinkle it with McCormick Salad Supreme, cover that with thinly cut slices of lemon. That butter and seasoning does something special to redfish. Damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by aTotal360 View Post
    I'll say it again...Grillgrates. https://www.grillgrate.com/
    The grill I inherited in this house we moved to is basically that. Sheet of metal between the flame and grate. They call it infrared which is ridiculous, but it cooks pretty good.

I donít step outside cooking steaks any longer. Iím reverse sear pretty much all the time. Oven/cast iron

Well yes, reds get grilled straight on the grates.

Theyíre the tits

Quote Originally Posted by the peeper View Post
    Educate me on grill grates please, I don't get them?
    Required? No. Would the world be worse without them? Oh yeah.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post