Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LSU cleaning up in the baseball portal…

Give to the Bulldog Initiative.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post
    MSU 2021 | MSU 2022 Yes | No

It’s Goat….again.
    We aren't going to be able to do it their way. Just not gonna happen.

And further, most average people would really like to see some details of these 'deals' before giving a cent for something like that. Paying players, NIL or not, is a rich man's game, for a man with plenty of disposable income. I'm guessing nobody on this site except fishwater is that type of man. If you are, listen to 8dog.
    Last edited by Smoked Toag; 06-24-2022 at 02:54 PM.

1 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Smoked Toag View Post
    We aren't going to be able to do it their way. Just not gonna happen.

And further, most average people would really like to see some details of these 'deals' before giving a cent for something like that. Paying players, NIL or not, is a rich man's game, for a man with plenty of disposable income. I'm guessing nobody on this site except fishwater is that type of man. If you are, listen to 8dog.
    NIL is nothing but buying transfers and recruits. Most of these guys aren't even having to do anything tangible that I can see for the money they are getting paid and even if they are they are getting money astronomically above market value.

What deals? We are simply trying to get talent. It’s helped us keep Tolu and Tyrus Wheat. It’s important and while the big pockets move the needle we especially need all we can get.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

It’s Goat….again.
    Quote Originally Posted by 8dog View Post
    What deals? We are simply trying to get talent. It’s helped us keep Tolu and Tyrus Wheat. It’s important and while the big pockets move the needle we especially need all we can get.
    I'm curious what the collectives look like. Do they just pay the players a check weekly? Do you get to choose who you fund? Is there a list of who's on the payroll? Are the coaches directly involved?

We talk about LSU throwing money around, just curious who it is. Everybody assumes, but are there any facts?

Seems like the most reasonable thing that LSU is doing is likely an LLC started by a few rich alumni who have the ear of Jay Johnson. I don't think our slush fund will accomplish anything to compete with how LSU is getting these transfers.
    Last edited by Smoked Toag; 06-24-2022 at 03:11 PM.

0 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Personally, I don't trust the university to spend my donation any better than a 18 year old.
    90 percent of college football teams do not cheat...the other 10 percent are ranked.

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Info@bulldog.Ms. No one is saying we can get as many as they can. But we still need it to get players and to keep players.
    Last edited by 8dog; 06-24-2022 at 03:18 PM.

If you believe the recruiting experts, we’re waiting to see how the draft shakes out. You also need to be wearing maroon shaded glasses while reading said experts information

You don't have to give a ton to help.

If you commit to $500 a year or $10/week that helps.

We didn't have to match to keep Jeffrey Simmons. We just had to help.

2 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

^^^100% correct^^^

Everyone needs to read this again and understand. We need this to attract AND KEEP good players.

Why on earth would we wait on draft if there is someone sitting there better than what we have. That’s how you end up missing on Sonny D. And yes I know we already had a first baseman. You can’t worry about hurting feelings anymore. If there is a stud out there you better get him if you have the chance. Everyone else is figuring out it’s rent a player now. We better get right or we will get left.

3 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

We are supposedly waiting on the draft because of the draft eligible
    portal takes. We don’t want to commit to a kid only to have him go pro.

Ahhhhh. I got you.

Thanks.

Tommy Tanks would rather hit bombs at Alex Box than Carnegie Hall? I thought the place sold itself?

1 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

We are supposedly waiting on the draft because of the draft eligible
    portal takes. We don’t want to commit to a kid only to have him go pro.

The coaches know what players in the portal are draft eligible. If we are waiting on the draft to sign players that aren't draft eligible we are 17ed. All of the portal players LSU has signed are not draft eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by 047Dog View Post
    Tommy Tanks would rather hit bombs at Alex Box than Carnegie Hall? I thought the place sold itself?
    One had to know that what UTenn was doing would result in NILpalooza with other SEC schools

I dont think anyone disputes any of that including the coaches. We were never getting Tommy White But it’s why we went ahead and got Ledbetter.

Quote Originally Posted by aTotal360 View Post
    Personally, I don't trust the university to spend my donation any better than a 18 year old.
    You are part of the problem

0 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by onewoof View Post
    One had to know that what UTenn was doing would result in NILpalooza with other SEC schools
    And Tennessee baseball was a joke 5 years ago. The guy did it with good old fashioned hustle. We seem lazy from the outside looking in. I’m willing to recant that but that’s what we look like. Lazy recruiters.

3 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Get with it or get left behind. This is the new college sports. NIL and portal.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by paindonthurt View Post
    We didn't have to match to keep Jeffrey Simmons. We just had to help.
    To keep Jeffrey Simmons from whom? There was no transfer portal when he was here….and players still had to sit out a year.

Imagine Alabama or Georgia not being in it for an elite transfer at a position of need in football. It would never happen. Not being in it is far worse than we thought we had a shot but lost out on him.
    "At South Panola we still honor what the word commitment means"-Lance Pogue

Quote Originally Posted by Bagman View Post
    You are part of the problem
    I’d rather spend money on my own kids that are at least loyal. I can understand why normal, hard-working middle class folks don’t or can’t give money to a system made to buy players who have no loyalty and there are no repercussions if they bolt to another place with that bag of cash.

It’s a ridiculous system and people know the deal. It doesn’t matter how much pocket change the regular folks contribute to this. We will never compete with anybody in the conference not named Vanderbilt. Hell if they ever got serious they would kick our asses too in the NIL game

Exactly. We're bringing in a couple of 2nd tier transfers (and I'm being generous), while our rivals are bringing in All-Americans. I heard there would be a lot of turnover from this roster, but so far, I'm not really seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by patdog View Post
    Exactly. We're bringing in a couple of 2nd tier transfers (and I'm being generous), while our rivals are bringing in All-Americans. I heard there would be a lot of turnover from this roster, but so far, I'm not really seeing it.
    We're bringing in kids with similar and better numbers to those kids everyone is pining over from last year. Dollander and Sonny D weren't some insanely great take based on their numbers last year, but look at them. We've taken a pitcher that throws 99 and one of the best players in his league.
    We're just taking a slow assed approach instead of taking guys and sorting it out later. But we don't have the number of spots available that LSU has.

We have 35 spots available for the right players. We’ll see. But if Lemonis blows this, he’ll find out his goodwill from last year will disappear quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by HD6 View Post
    Imagine Alabama or Georgia not being in it for an elite transfer at a position of need in football. It would never happen. Not being in it is far worse than we thought we had a shot but lost out on him.
    Our baseball program is historically much closer to Auburn football than the current Alabama / Georgia football. Top 10-15ish program on the aggregate of the past 20-25 years, but still only Top 6-7 in our own conference. We never have and never will recruit at LSU’s level.

Quote Originally Posted by patdog View Post
    They brought in an All-American as in singular….a guy who everybody in the country wanted who no doubt went to the highest bidder. Little from Vandy is a guy who left because he couldn’t hold down his starting rotation spot, and is also the guy who we flat out shelled in Game 2 of the championship series. Wouldn’t call him an All-American but he probably could have helped our bullpen a bit. The Creighton guy is similar to Ledbetter, who we landed.

Two morals to the story. One, LSU continues to be the most advantaged program in all of college baseball, and you see the results of that now. Two, even they were only able to add 2-3 impact guys in the portal. You simply can’t quick fix an SEC roster with the portal alone. You have to recruit and develop from the HS ranks as the lifeblood of your program.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Budaw View Post
    They brought in an All-American as in singular….a guy who everybody in the country wanted who no doubt went to the highest bidder. Little from Vandy is a guy who left because he couldn’t hold down his starting rotation spot, and is also the guy who we flat out shelled in Game 2 of the championship series. Wouldn’t call him an All-American but he probably could have helped our bullpen a bit. The Creighton guy is similar to Ledbetter, who we landed.

Two morals to the story. One, LSU continues to be the most advantaged program in all of college baseball, and you see the results of that now. Two, even they were only able to add 2-3 impact guys in the portal. You simply can’t quick fix an SEC roster with the portal alone. You have to recruit and develop from the HS ranks as the lifeblood of your program.
    I don't follow aTm much, but I thought I heard they have a ton of transfers

He can't pull a Polk and resist change and be just good enough. He's got a Natty, but he's on a shorter leash, I suspect, especially if Ole Miss wins and is good again next near (yes, what they do matters). I still think he gets two years. But this past year showed some pretty bad talent evaluation and an inability to develop pitchers. We also need a couple guys who can get on base.

He probably does get 2 years. But he HAS to show improvement next year to get 2024. He can’t win single digit SEC games again. Cohen has fired several coaches in sports were not as advantaged in for better results than that.

You didn’t need a transfer portal or nil deal for Jeffrey Simmons to get offered a lot of money to go to bama or ole miss

The most concerning thing is that if the portal was not an option we would be absolutely screwed next year.

It’s Goat….again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Budaw View Post
    Our baseball program is historically much closer to Auburn football than the current Alabama / Georgia football. Top 10-15ish program on the aggregate of the past 20-25 years, but still only Top 6-7 in our own conference. We never have and never will recruit at LSU’s level.
    Better get on out of here with those cold, harsh truths.

Quote Originally Posted by harrybollocks View Post
    He can't pull a Polk and resist change and be just good enough. He's got a Natty, but he's on a shorter leash, I suspect, especially if Ole Miss wins and is good again next near (yes, what they do matters). I still think he gets two years. But this past year showed some pretty bad talent evaluation and an inability to develop pitchers. We also need a couple guys who can get on base.
    People continue to say this shit, but nobody can name valid examples of either instance. We had freshmen pitchers like Walker / Kohn who everybody wanted, and a few projects that didn’t pan out. If there’s any strike against Lemonis, its that we didn’t sign enough pitchers in the 2022 class, but even after signing only 6 and losing one to the draft, we still had to chase one off to JUCO before the season even started to make the numbers work. That tells me we had too much roster imbalance from the Cohen / Cannizarro signees that made up the 2018-2021 classes.

It’s Goat….again.
    The most concerning thing is that if the portal was not an option we would be absolutely screwed next year.
    Lot of teams in that position, not unique at all.

Ya'll are going a little crazy over LSU recruiting, when they are literally the top baseball program in the country. We will never catch them. We have never recruited like them. There aren't that many of these big-name transfers in baseball, so who cares. We don't get those players in high school anyway.

Damn I wish we could get back to the recruiting that actually built our program, and quit trying to 17 with these spoiled money-grubber pretty-boy types.
    Last edited by Smoked Toag; 06-25-2022 at 10:52 AM.

It’s Goat….again.
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybollocks View Post
    How the hell is Lemonis resisting change? He's going after portal players. He went out and got a few grad transfers before the immediate transfer eligibility happened. You're just making shit up.

This isn’t true. Regular folks can contribute and make a difference but keep making excuses.

And with Covid Srs that's going to be an issue for a lot of teams.