OT: Torpedo grass control

This was discussed a while back but wanted to see if anyone had come across any other successful remedies for torpedo grass. Iím currently using fusillade to kill it in flower beds. Iíve used quinchlorac in my Bermuda yard but it only seems to stunt it some. Iíve not been able to kill it.

MSU 2021 | MSU 2022 Yes | No

Quinclorac 75 df at 21 oz an acre then three weeks later the same rate will take a couple of years to get most of it. Patience is needed with torpedo grass.
    Last edited by InTheIttaBenaHotSun; 07-01-2022 at 02:38 AM.

It's crabgrass that I'm fighting.

And whatever those runners are that have a little bit of purple in them, IDK what it's called.

The struggle is real.

SixPack's Official Farmer DesotoCountyDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgtruc View Post
    It's crabgrass that I'm fighting.

And whatever those runners are that have a little bit of purple in them, IDK what it's called.

The struggle is real.
    Does it look like this? If it does thatís Virginia buttonweed.

Attachment 24668

Quinclorac with MSO (Methylated Seed Oil) helps herbicide to stick and penetrate leaf surface better.

I sprayed for crabgrass and torpedo. It knocked out crabgrass very quickly.
    And I am most impressed that it knocked out the torpedo also.

I did have to make an second app for the torpedo but did not mind at all.

I would add some liquid fert as well as some chelated iron when spraying to reduce yellowing of your desired turf.

I have Bermuda and zoysia. Quinclorac will injure Centipede.
    Definitely want to read the label.

I use a 3gal backpack sprayer at 1Tbsp of the Quinclorac per gal water hand 2 Tbsp MSO/gal

I will apply pre-emerge next February to reduced most summer weeds and hopefully wonít have to spray anymore.
    Last edited by Fktdawg; 07-02-2022 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Correction

Quote Originally Posted by DesotoCountyDawg View Post
    Does it look like this? If it does thatís Virginia buttonweed.

Attachment 24668
    Virginia Buttonweed and Florida Pulsey would be the death of me is someone didnít recommend MSMA a couple of years ago on here. I know plus has surfacant but I still add it to kill those waxy pain in the asses and it definitely helps.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdawg22 View Post
    ...Florida Pulsey would be the death of me..
    I swear I said almost the exact same thing on Spring Break in Panama City in 1999.

5 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

Buy some Cimarron herbicide. Itís expensive but it doesnít take much per use. I have a small bottle Iíve had for several years and it is death in Virginia buttonweed.

Will Image or Roundup for lawns which both have quinclorac be strong enough to kill the torpedo grass?

The Roundup for Lawns has quinclorac in it as well as dicamba which will help with broadleafs. Image is imazaquin which I donít think is very effective against torpedo grass. Imazaquin is really good on yellow nutsedge.

Quote Originally Posted by DesotoCountyDawg View Post
    The Roundup for Lawns has quinclorac in it as well as dicamba which will help with broadleafs. Image is imazaquin which I donít think is very effective against torpedo grass. Imazaquin is really good on yellow nutsedge.
    I talked to DrTurfDirt from the turf sciences department a few years ago about torpedo grass, and he told me that the only thing that will really get rid of it is a combo of Fusilade and Roundup hit at two applications at a very heavy rate a few weeks apart. He said to then till it up and make sure you get all of the rhizomes out, as they are very deep (up to a foot deep). He said I'd have to start over with that patch of yard. Lawn care guy that I used in a pinch after I couldn't mow it myself for a few weeks after surgery brought it in on his mower.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Iíve never dealt with torpedo grass so Iím not familiar with it but if itís like Johnsongrass (a rhizome grass) then Iím assuming thereís a certain time in its lifecycle that if you sprayed it, youíll get the rhizomes as well.

This is the only way - nuking your yard and starting over. Even then you have to diligently rake out ALL the rhizomes otherwise youíll be back at it a year later. Weíve stopped using river sand because of the threat of torpedo grass.