OT - Never Too Early 4th of July Grilling & Drinking Thread

Pork shoulder, smoked sausage, and BBQ shrimp is in our future this weekend, but I need some inspiration for the sides. I've got a huge sack of fresh green beans, so I think I'm gonna do a slow cooker BBQ and bacon recipe with them, but I've got nothing on the agenda other than that. Any of y'all have some tried and true recipes for sides that you'd recommend?

As far as drinking, I'll have to add some details later, but rest assured that beer and bourbon will be flowing over the next 4 days

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post
    MSU 2021 | MSU 2022 Yes | No

So far have the classics on the menu here: burgers, dogs, watermelon, and Miller Lite

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Brisket, Ribs, Sausage, Pulled Pork, and Texas Twinkies. Got a fresh load of firewood in last week and just cleaned out the offset from the last cook and I'm ready pull another all nighter.

I have you covered on at least one side. This baked bean recipe is dynamite and fairly easy. I just throw it on the smoker in a foil pan for 1.5-2 hours.

https://bigtex.com/best-bbq-beans-in-texas/

Here's what they look like.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220630-153348.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	24662

Oh and for the drinks, I'm in love with a new old fashioned recipe I found recently...

Name:	Screenshot_20220629-211725.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	24663

Name:	Screenshot_20220629-211744.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	24664
    Last edited by JoeLee'sSocks; 06-30-2022 at 04:49 PM.

Bean recipe is bookmarked, thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Seinfeld View Post
    Pork shoulder, smoked sausage, and BBQ shrimp is in our future this weekend, but I need some inspiration for the sides. I've got a huge sack of fresh green beans, so I think I'm gonna do a slow cooker BBQ and bacon recipe with them, but I've got nothing on the agenda other than that. Any of y'all have some tried and true recipes for sides that you'd recommend?

As far as drinking, I'll have to add some details later, but rest assured that beer and bourbon will be flowing over the next 4 days
    Take those green beans and break in half or thirds. The goal is 2 1/2-3 inches long. Wrap 5-6 sections with a partial slice of bacon and place in baking pan. Melt a stick of butter and pour over bean bundles. Season with something a little salty and a little spicy. Then sprinkle liberally with brown sugar. Bake until bacon is cooked. Can be done on the grill or oven. Time consuming to wrap but delicious.

We defrosted the freezer today so pork belly burnt ends is first. Local Big Star has whole boneless ribeyes for $7.99, probably going to pick one up tomorrow. I like to cut steaks from about half the loin and I'll smoke the other half whole. We have a bunch of yellow squash and zucchini so that's definitely going on the grill. Craving some smoked Mac and cheese and have a ball of Edam, so!!!!!!

Wife makes a good cold corn salad that's corn, mayo, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and then some seasonings. I know salt, pepper, dried onion flakes.

That'll eliminate some livestock. We all gotta do our part.

A5 Wagyu sloppy joes. Blanton's and Diet Rite.
    90 percent of college football teams do not cheat...the other 10 percent are ranked.

Quote Originally Posted by aTotal360 View Post
    A5 Wagyu sloppy joes. Blanton's and Diet Rite.
    Damn! Were they out of RC again?

Fried deer tenderloin, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, and cornbread with Uncle Johnís molasses tonight.

Some fried okra and garden tomatoes and it would have been perfect.

Decisions... Decisions...

Last edited by ScoobaDawg; 06-30-2022 at 08:28 PM.

2 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post

That qualifies as a plethora of options

Twitter
    @stephenedavis
    I'm still unable to stand long enough to man a grill so I will probably cook up some smash burgers in the black iron skillet since they won't take long to make or teach my wife how to make some gumbo or red beans. After almost a year I have finally graduated from the wound VAC and I am waiting for a skin graft on my foot. All the toes and most of the bone structure in the end of my right foot is gone but I finally got rid of all that nasty ass infection I was fighting with the last couple of years and I will be walking around in a couple of months yay!

I might even be able to make it over and watch us get our ass kicked this fall any DWS. I'm sure it's still not too hard to get a ticket out there.**

Quite likely the best corn-on-the-cob you will ever have eaten!
    https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-corn

I like that the Stagg and Benchmark are rubbing shoulders

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post

Name:  schwing-waynes (1).gif
Views: 896
Size:  484.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh's Burner Phone View Post
    Wife makes a good cold corn salad that's corn, mayo, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and then some seasonings. I know salt, pepper, dried onion flakes.
    I do something similar to this but I grill the corn then cut off the cob and mix with Crema, mayo, lime juice, red onion, jalapeno, cilantro, and cotija cheese
    Last edited by Hellsyeah; 07-01-2022 at 08:26 AM.

Yummy. That's elotes if you leave it on the cob and esquites if you cut the corn off the cob and put it in a cup. For a real barn burner, my Texican wife takes it one more step.

Let the esquites cool in the fridge for 30 minutes, then mix in some bacon chunks or whatever meat you may have smoked (puled pork, brisket, sausage, etc) and throw it in a cast iron skillet. Cover with some sharp cheddar and throw it in the oven for 20-30 minutes at 325ish.

Drop some more goodies on top and get you some tortilla chips. Delicious.

Thanks JoeLee. So after a team vote, the green beans are out which means that your baked bean recipe is now on the table. Iím gonna give that one a go, and while I canít say that Iíve ever had Ancho Reyes, I do love me an Old Fashioned. Iíll see what I can find at the local stores today

Whatever we eat we are going to wash it down with the contents of the bottles of Barrel Proof that my wife and I bottled on our recent tour of Heaven Hill Distillery.

Name:	PXL_20220701_150516218.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	24672Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220701_150052813.PORTRAIT.jpg 
Size:	3.64 MB 
ID:	24673

Make some pig shots with the sausage.
    Get some white flour tortillas, cut them into triangles and fry them for chips. Make a white cheese dip with some milk, white american, poblano and a little cumin. Put the pulled shoulder on top of that with bbq sauce for the best nachos youíve ever had

Dang man I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. Life is tough enough when you have good health. Keep on keeping on brother my prayers are with you. Have a great weekend !

Where is there a Big Star still in business. Genuinely curious.

The beans are tits. No going back once you make em and the fact you are using canned beans makes it a lot easier than most recipes that come out this good.

For those not familiar;

Ancho Reyes is a liqueur made from Mexican sugar cane rum with sun roasted poblano chilis infused in it for six months. It's smokey, spicy, and sweet. Can be used in smokey margaritas as well. An old fashioned on it's own gets to sweet for me, but mixing it up with Ancho Reyes and a good higher proof bourbon is a nice combo when you are working a grill, smoker, or sitting out by the fire pit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Bruce View Post
    Whatever we eat we are going to wash it down with the contents of the bottles of Barrel Proof that my wife and I bottled on our recent tour of Heaven Hill Distillery.

Name:	PXL_20220701_150516218.jpg 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	24672Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220701_150052813.PORTRAIT.jpg 
Size:	3.64 MB 
ID:	24673
    Hey Bruce... That's 17ing awesome.

We are doing this in October. I am partial to the Larceny Barrel Proof myself, but there is apparently a special bottle you can only get during the tour, Heaven Hill Bourbon Experience. I have read it's an 8 year old barrel proof version of HH Bottled in Bond and that sounds like a dream bottle.

Did you get to taste everything before making it? How do you choose the bottle? Is it based on blind tasting or do you pick whatever bottle you want even if it wasn't your favorite in the tasting?

It was the You Do Bourbon tour. You get a guide to talk about the Distillery and the 3 barrel proof whiskies you are tasting. We had Bernheim Original Wheat Whiskey, the Larceny and the Elijah Craig Bourbons. I got the impression that it could change at times. You then were allowed to bottle one bottle and pay for it above the tour cost. They give you a bottle of your choice and then you have to follow the instructions on how to label the bottle. It was very cool.

Very important to go online and book the tour before you go.

Shish Kabobs.

Cut up ribeye steaks into chunks.

Marinated in Italian dressing. With onions,peppers, and grape tomatoes

Loaded potato.

Blue Moon
    MakersMark.

I am incredibly jealous. I've been trying to hunt down bottles of barrel proof Larceny and Angel's Envy for over a year now

Twitter
    @stephenedavis
    I thank you. We keep letting it heal up only to have it get infected and having to reopen it back up three time until we figured out the original MRI was wrong and didn't show the osteomyelitis in the first metatarsal and phalanges so after we removed them I've finally really been healing. Really looking forward to footballm season and finally getting watch the college and local Austin area high school teams play

Quote Originally Posted by Seinfeld View Post

I drank a LOT last week. We went on a cruise and I bought the drink package, but they make you buy it for both adults in the room because I guess people sneak it to their spouses. My wife doesn’t drink a ton so I figured I needed to drink an average of 15 drinks a day for four nights so 60 drinks. Gentleman I’m glad to say I succeeded with 78 drinks. All that to say, I’m taking a break this weekend. I will go to the store and see what I can find. I may do a TriTip brisket style and see what that’s all about. Probably do that smoked Queso recipe someone had on here last year and let neighbors do the sides and dessert. I had Covid this week and I’m done with that shit so I’ll be happy to be outside in the pool, eating smoked meats, doing a little yard work and blowing some shit up Monday night.
    Night Court Bitches!
    Got a standing rib roast today. It’s delicious.

Name:	7FBF99B4-D677-4C9A-8D32-BA4224DE9DF5.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	24675
    Last edited by mcdawg22; 07-03-2022 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by horshack View Post
    Where is there a Big Star still in business. Genuinely curious.
    Toddís Big Star in Tupelo. I bought a 19lb loin today. Iíll slice it into steaks tomorrow and vacuum pack them in twos. If I cut into it and thereís no marbling Iíll cut it into roasts. Either way Iíll have some cheap steaks or some fantastic roasts.

If that was a single barrel Col Taylor hiding on the back side of the top shelf - thatís where I would go!

Had a Boston butt on since 9:00am. It's stalled big time. Temp only gone up 2 degrees in the last hour. Still got another 45 to go.

Got a family gathering tomorrowÖ but Monday Iím planning some ribs, deer sausage, beans. Given itís 1000 degrees outside, gonna skip the bourbon and stick with either miler lite or maybe a frozen drinkÖ pina colada or margarita. Might go with some gin and tonic.

Wild Turkey breast, center cut pork loin roast, and angus beef burgers on the grill this afternoon.
    Built a fire mostly with apple wood. Will do a couple racks of ribs on Monday, beans, and plenty booz.

Jalapeno and Habanero Corn bread

Friday, went to Razzoo's in Fort Worth, where I had some delicious Cajun hush puppies. So, for the church lunch I decided to make some. However, I don't like frying things in the house and decided to bake some corn bread instead.

Anyway, my jalapenos and habaneros are growing in the garden, so I decided to make jalapeno and habanero corn bread instead.
    Last edited by Antonio Brown's Foot; 07-03-2022 at 08:52 AM.