Hear Ye! Hear Ye!!! Cream Talk by Stallion - Week 1

Good Evenin' Six Pack message board fans:

Football is back in full force, and the Stallion is loving it!!! Who would have thought that BYU just cleared the way for the Longhorns to face the Gators for the National Championship game. There really isn't a need to play any more games this season. Right?

Well there are a few teams out there that still have a legit shot at the ultimate cream, and I hope more crazy upsets are in store for this year. Overall, the weekend was exciting considering that there were the most I-A vs. FCS (I-AA) teams facing each other than ever before for a given weekend. One thing is for certain, Miss State and Southern Miss. can kick some SWAC hiney. The Stallion tried his best to see the Sonic Boom at Scott Field but due to internet complications I only got to read the posts from the pack. Overall it seemed like a successful day. Congratulations for taking care of business to open the Mullen era.

The cream is far from settling within the best conference in the country, but there was some movement. Overall, the Stallion's preseason predictions seem to be in the right vicinity. Tennessee, the Stallion's sleeper, did not disappoint, and some of the weaker teams in the conference took care of business a la Vandy, Kentucky and State. Auburn appeared to struggle awhile with La. Tech, but the sixpack told me that is completely understandable because of that high octane Ruston offense - see 2008 Cream Talk-Week 1.

Bama certainly showed that they have a ton of speed and talent and will prove to be a huge roadblock for many teams in the West to overcome.

My beloved Tigers appear to be as porous as ever on defense and is hoping the 3000 mile trek to the great Northwest was the reason for such a lackadaisical performance. However, I know that's a reach.

Could there have been a more boring Thursday night game than South Carolina and North Carolina State. Ole' Ball Coach - say it ain't so. What has happened to the exciting brand of football you once innovated?

And of course the Rebels come rolling around to try to prove to all of us that it's more than hype. Just knowing that the Reverend called a TD play with 6 seconds left on the clock to ice that 31-point nail biter will certainly enhance the Rebs in the polls. Stay classy, Ole Miss!

And finally, outside the SEC, the "play" of the week has to be the left jab of one LeGarrette Blount of Oregon. We will see you in the next UFC season, because your NFL career has just been flushed down the toilet.

And now the Week 1 Cream Rankings:

1)
    Florida - Scrimmage went well for the Gators and Charleston Southern is thrilled that it has a nice paycheck. I compare this matchup to the days when we used to say, "I'd fight Tyson for a couple of million dollars," knowing good and well you were going to get pounded.
    2) Alabama - Not only is the Stallion concerned about the Tide this year, but how good are they going to be in 2 years. Wow that was some talent on the field against VT. However Bama made several mistakes that they need to clean up (mainly at QB) to make them the solid leader in the West. They showed me enough to pass the Rebels this weekend for No. 2.
    3) Ole Miss - Jevon Snead's slow start and the Rebels allowing Memphis to hang around for 3 quarters was not what I expected a top 10 team to do. At the end of the day, the Rebels do have enough talent to make noise in the West.
    4) Tennessee - Sure it was Western Kentucky, but this team was completely inept last year on offense even against the bad teams. I do realize there is a lot more football to be played, but the Vols' role as the Stallions' 2009 sleeper team is still strong.
    5) LSU - Did Bob Davie play for Washington…one would think so after listening to that commentating. And Cheech, the new defensive coordinator for the Tigers, better get his act together quickly.
    6) Georgia - They have a ton of talent with no QB. Reminds me of Stafford's freshman year. Please don't improve until October 12th.
    7) Arkansas - Is Missouri State in the SWAC? Probably not, but should be.
    Kentucky - Rich Brooks continues to impress me as a coach and could surprise some people this year. Solid performance for the 'Cats.
    9) Vanderbilt - Remember the days when the 'Dores would win against teams like Western Carolina by a TD or two. Signs that Vandy has improved are evident.
    10) Auburn - Is La Tech better or worse than NC state. Stallion says push.
    11) South Carolina - See no. 10's reasoning for dropping the gamecocks.
    12) Miss. State - May Croom RIP. Let the Mullen era begin.

Hot Boudin - Alabama - Beat a team with speed, talent and hard nosed defense. No doubt Saban's boys will be a tough defeat for any team in the country this year.

Cold Couscous - Georgia - Yes you are the only team that lost in the SEC this weekend. You win by default.

And now for the season' s first nominee for the Jarrett Lee Award sponsored by the GM Government Bailout Program. This is a no-brainer and Oregon's LeGarrette Blount not only played like it was his first game and by the way he ran his mouth leading up to the game, but the sucker punch and then his take on the entire Boise State world has potentially cost his team any chance of winning the PAC10 title (as if USC isn't going to win it.) Honorable mention was almost given to Coach Jim Tressel for not kicking that field goal and getting stuffed on 4th down. However, Navy is Navy and will never complete a pass when it counts.

overall good job...thought it was a right jab though not a left

as the extra curricular activity after the jab

Welcome back....look forward to seeing what the cream says this year

Dropped Ole Miss below Bama
    Dropped UGA below TN and LSU
    And shifted 8-11 around

I like UT as a sleeper too, can't believe everyone writes them off after 1 bad year, they've got talent there.
    Same goes for Auburn, they've still got players.

The story to me is how dominant Bama still looked and how average LSU looked. I think LSU's downward trend continues

I would drop Ole Miss down a little lower. Didn't show enough today to be that high. Still a little too early to tell but I would want to see Kentucky higher. Brooks has really done a great job up there. They could really make some noise this year as well. Tennessee looked scary good. We will see how good in a few weeks. LSU looked sluggish but talented. Chavis won't make the cut at the end of the year is my prediction.

early in the year so I wouldn`t be too hard on the Tiger D just yet. I think the rest pretty well spot on.

a bunch of sorry opponents. The only two three teams that played someone of any significance is Alabama, Georgia and possibly LSU (verdict is still out on Washington this year now that Locker and Chris Polk is back - their two stars that were out last year).
    Ole Miss did not play great but they took care of business and didn't do enough to drop 3 or 4 spots in the poll.

Tennessee looked great, but it was Western Kentucky. Same for Kentucky. So let's play a few more games, why don't we, before making too many changes.

he is known not to make many substitutions on defense and what that causes is bad match ups such as an LB covering a WR. He might want to re-think this philosophy some. However, the D-Line got manhandled all night long which really bothered me against UW's "weaker" O Line. If we can show something next Saturday against Vandy, I believe the Tigers have a shot to run the table through October 10th when they play Florida.

you are wrong about the Tigers. There is no doubt LSU has talent on the defensive and offensive side of the balls. Can they be coached is the question?

Washington was 0-12 last year. 0-12.

after thinking about the weekend that was, I would rank 3.Tennessee 4 LSU 4 Ole Miss (like they are interchangeable) 6-12 Unchanged

that's the part that bothered me. I understand that their best two players went down, but certainly you can win against Idaho or even Wash. State who was dreadful last year. New coach can change attitude and getting your two best players can make a difference. LSU won the game without too much of a concern but it wasn't dominant like I had hoped.

but UT is my sleeper ... let's see what they do in a couple of weeks against UF.

When is the last time they even won a game? But since they hung with your tiiggaahhs, the verdict is still out... Riiiight! Washington sucks and LSU is apparently not a whole lot better. Maybe if you took your purple and gold glasses off for a minute or two, you could see what the rest of the world saw, which is a mediocre at best LSU team, offense AND defense.

(including Jackson freaking State). Locker is a great QB who was out all of last season, and they have a good coach now. But I am okay with takinig your jab now. The season is young. I am not happy with the way theTigers played however. I said that early in the year I don't think the Tigers will be that good this year.

this year. And I still think we win 4. Their game against Idaho next week may be the only game they're favored all season. Guess we'll see.

1. OSU--skilled on offense and pretty good on defense; may be the big 12 no. 2 right now;
    2. Va. Tech--this team was very young last year but managed to win the ACC and returned a lot;
    3. NC State--Phil Steele calls them one of his most improved teams and they have a great coaching staff and some talent;
    4. Washington--0-12 last year and they have a brand new coaching staff but they brought back very good qb and they are starting to get better;
    tie5. La. Tech.--I think Dooley is a good coach and does a lot w/ the talent he has; very definition of middle of the pack wac;
    tie5. Memphis--Hall, Steele, Singleton, Calhoun make a good core of skill talent; they will give some teams fits (think UT) before its all over and sure we got their best game; they also have about ten transfers who were at one time considered good to very good bcs prospects;
    7. Miami OH--hey at least its D1A but also picked last in the MAC;
    8. Western KY--in its second year of D1A play where they played an experimental schedule last year to get them up to speed;
    9-12. All of the D1AA teams because I cannot really differentiate them; I have no idea how Charleston Southern, Mizzou State and Jackson State measure up and I don't care to do the research.

asdf

and Memphis are probably pretty close. Memphis has some good skill players though.

So I understand your point. We will see how the season plays out

LSU ahead of UGA?? Your team played a team that even Sly Crooms could've improved. UGA played a top 15 team on the road. You are a joke.

But, they were playing against a pairing of one of the great offensive talents and great offensive minds in the country this season.