Two Daves Pick The SEC

2009 Bowl Edition

December 27, 2009

Welcome to Two Daves Pick the SEC! The Hiroshima of SEC football occurred yesterday as Urban Meyer announced his resignation as Florida's head coach. Shockwaves are still being felt around all of college football with many programs fearing that phone call from Jeremy Foley. I'd like to applaud Meyer for taking the appropriate steps to take care of himself and his family. Sure, they have plenty of cash, but if daddy dies from a heart attack, no amount of cash will replace daddy. Family first, without exception, and Urban has learned that. Many programs are now concerned that UF and it Brinks truck will come take their coach, let the games begin!

Doug says:

Well, it pains me to say that the 2009 season is pretty much over. Since we last spoke, we saw Alabama barely escape Auburn in the Iron Bowl, and Mississippi State smack around Ole Miss in the Egg Bowl. Impressively, there are ten SEC teams in bowl games this year, and honestly, Mississippi State was a whisker away from making that number eleven.

Of course, the big news is Urban Meyer and his sudden resignation at Florida. This news is rocking the college football world, and it could significantly change the coaching landscape in the conference. It will be interesting, that's for sure.

Our boy Bubb Rubb is back in the house!

Bubb says:

Bubb Rubb back at ya. Where did my Soul Bruthas go? My Commodores, fresh off a bowl win, finished in the cellar and one of only two teams that didn't go to a bowl! Damn, that's wack! My soul bruthas were down, my Raiders are down, my UAB Blazers were down. Bubb may just have to give up football. Nah, you crackas know I can't do that. Let's pick some games.

Gaylord Hotels Music City Bowl, Nashville, TN

Kentucky-Clemson

Dave says:

This game features two big-time playmakers in UK's Randall Cobb and Clempson's CJ Spiller. Both of these guys have the ability to get large chunks of real estate on one play. Throw in that Clemson has suspended four players from the game for the infamous violation of team rules, and that has the potential to make this really interesting. The bottom line will come down to the running game; Kentucky cannot stop one and Clemson has a solid one. Mississippi State's Anthony Dixon set a school rushing record 252 yards at Kentucky and Spiller has Dixon-like talent. The Wildcats will rely heavily on Cobb and the rest of the cats to put points on the board to have a chance in this game. I think the inability to stop the run game will lead to UK's demise. UK will put up a good fight in a close one. Rich Brooks will be the next coach at Florida. You just read it on the internet, so it must be true.

Clempson 31 - UK 27

Doug says:

This one should be interesting. Historically, ACC teams come in and lay eggs in the Music City, it seems. Heck, Vandy (!) won this bowl last year. But, I think this is a bad matchup for the SEC representative this year. I don't think Kentucky has the offense to get it done. I hope I'm wrong, but we'll see.

Clempson 28

Mildcats 20

Bubb says:

I told y'all before, Kentucky gonna be my new favorite SEC team, just as soon as they get old crusty-azz Rich Brooks outta there and bring in my boy Joker. The only problem is that Coach Brooks keep taking Kentucky to bowl games, so he ain't going nowhere for a while. Clemson's got my by CJ Spiller, and I hope the Raiders pick him up some day. By the 4th quarter, Kentucky's gonna be tired from chasing him all over the field.

CJ Shoulda Won The Hiesman 34

Waitin On Joker 21

AdvoCare V100 Independence Bowl, Shreveport, LA

Texas A&M-Georgia

Dave says:

Both of these teams have had an up and down season. A&M was chugging right along when Arkansas steamrolled them. Georgia has been much like Cybil this year. Defensive inconsistencies cost UGA's DC Willie Martinez his job, along with other defensive coaches. All of this just in time for playing a red-hot A&M offense. The Aggies are in the top 25 in the offensive categories that count, yet they too have major defensive woes. The team that can control the line of scrimmage will win this game. If Georgia keeps up its recent pace of running for 250+ per game, they win. If the A&M offense gets going in full speed, they probably win in a cakewalk. Georgia beat Arkansas, who skulldrug A&M - that logic usually fails miserably. Flip a coin on this one. Mark Richt will be the next coach at Florida. You just read it on the internet, so it must be true.

UGA 34 - TAMU 31

Doug says:

The Aggies have given up points in bulk this year, but they did play a whale of a game against Texas to end their regular season. My litmus test on Georgia this year has centered around QB Joe Cox and the time of day the game is played. In day games, he's generally struggled, and so has his team, but in night games, he's a different player. So, due to the late afternoon kickoff, expect Georgia to get off to a slow start while the sun is out, but pour it on late after the sun sets.

Dawgs 38

Texags 24

Bubb says:

My girl L'il Sis still like Georgia, even though David Greene ain't around no more. Coach Richt had him a rough season, but I think he gonna get it fixed. He prolly won't have any hair left by then, though. They should beat A&M, but then again, they lost a few games they shoulda won this year.

Hairy Dawgs 31

12th Man 28

Chick-Fil-A Bowl, Atlanta, GA

Virginia Tech-Tennessee

Dave says:

Both of these teams put up stellar fights against Alabama, who is playing for the BCS title. Frank Beamer has had a tremendous career at Virginia Tech, while Lane Kiffin sometimes coaches, sometimes talks way too much and is apparently a pimp with the "Orange Pride" gals helping him recruit. To have the NCAA up in your business in the first year as a head coach is usually a bad omen. Jonathon Crompton started the season looking terrible, but he has progressed a great deal through the season. Eric Berry picked up his Thorpe award and is probably playing his last game as a Volunteer. On offense, these teams are matched up well, both putting up almost 400 yards and 30 points per game. Coaching is what will make the difference in this game. Monte Kiffin is one of the best defensive minds in all of football. That said, Frank Beamer has a stellar resume himself and he knows how to win.

Lane Kiffin will be the next coach at Florida. You just read it on the internet, so it must be true.

Vajanyuh Tekk 27 - Tennessee 21

Doug says:

My gut just tells me that Virginia Tech is the better team here. Every time I've picked against the Vols this year, it's come back to haunt me, but I just don't see Crompton and company winning this one.

What's a Hokie? 24

Rocky Top 20

Bubb says:

Y'all know I like me some Lane Kiffin. Once a Raider, always a Raider, baby. He been talkin' smack all year, about Florida, about Alabama, about whoever. But his team been backing it up, too. I like me some Coach Orgeron, too. Yeah, he crazy, but he crazy like a super-recruitin fox. These damn Vols gonna be tough to handle real soon.

Coach Kiffin 21

VT 14

Outback Bowl, Tampa, FL

Northwestern-Auburn

Dave says:

Gene Chizik's first year on the plains turned out to be a good one with Auburn finishing 7-5, and within a hair of beating Alabama to end the season. Northwestern has won five of its last six games, impressive in itself. Auburn will use a healthy dose of Ben Tate and Ontario McCalebb to wear down Northwestern, and there will be enough Chris Todd throwing the ball to keep the defense honest. Auburn should win this one. Gene Chizik will be the next coach at Florida. You just read it on the internet, so it must be true.

Auburn 31 - Northwestern 24

Doug says:

How happy are Auburn fans to be back in a major bowl game? I didn't hear much about Northwestern this year, so I don't know what to expect from them here. But, I do know this: when it's Big Ten vs. SEC, you can generally count on the SEC to get it done.

War Tigers 28

Wildcats 14

Bubb says:

Auburn in tha Outback Bowl? Damn, that's wack! Not only do they get a big bowl, but they also get them a team that they should whip. I mean, Northwestern had them a good year and all, but 3 losses in tha Big Ten? And they expect to come down south and beat Auburn?

Chizik and Malzahn 31

Whatever 10

Capital One Bowl, Orlando, FL

Penn State-LSU

Dave says:

The old man versus the hat. If this game comes down to coaching, LSU is in trouble. There are some good matchups to be seen in this game, particularly Penn State's passing game against LSU's secondary. LSU's biggest problem is injuries, particularly at tailback. The only back healthy is Trindon Holliday, and he cannot carry the ball 20+ times a game. Hey Les, here's a hint, Chad Jones, can probably run the ball well too. The on thing LSU has going for it is the fact that they have mercilessly beaten the crap out of their opponent in the post season under Miles, winning by an average of 28.5 points per game. I don't see that happening here, they don't have a run game to balance out the passing game, and that is a problem. Les Miles will be the next coach at Florida. You just read it on the internet, so it must be true.

Penn State 24 - LSU 21

Doug says:

As I said earlier, Big Ten vs. SEC is generally bad news for the boys up north. This one should be no exception. The only thing that concerns me is that Les Miles is a Big Ten guy, and his teams have underachieved the last couple of years. LSU has the better team on paper, so I'm going that way, but don't be surprised to see JoePa's boys pull the upset.

Coonasses 21

Yankees 20

Bubb says:

Hmm, my coonass friends think this be a cakewalk. I think LSU got the talent to make it a cakewalk, but the thing is, they gots the talent to make every game they play a cakewalk. Somethin' ain't quite right with my boy Coach Miles.

Coonasses 24

Joe Paterno's Old Ass 17

Allstate Sugar Bowl, New Orleans, LA

Cincinnati-Florida

Dave says:

This game just got really interesting. Florida is now losing Urban Meyer and Tim Tebow after this game, and already lost DC Charlie Strong. Of course, Cincinnati has lost Brian Kelly. I'll say this right now, it doesn't matter. Florida's players will play at about 130% to ensure their coach goes out on a winning note. When you have the level of talent that Florida does, that means trouble for the opponent. Tebow, Cooper, Hernandez, Demps, Rainey, and that is just on offense. Dunlap, Spikes, Haden - these guys will bring their A game as well. Not a good time to be a Bearcat. Urban Meyer will be the next coach at Florida. You just read it on the internet, so it must be true.

Florida 42 - Cincy 24

Doug says:

Let's seeā€¦Urban Meyer is coaching his last game here, and Cincinnati is coachless, with their head guy already gone to Notre Dame. Yeah, this is not going to be pretty.

Gators 35

Gator Bait 17

Bubb says:

I like Cincinnati. They look like a buncha gangstas on tha football field. But their coach is gone, and you never know how that's gonna go. They got a good QB, but Li'l Sis say he's got him some real skinny legs and Florida's defensive line prolly gonna kill that poor white boy. I think she's right.

Gators 28

Gangstas 21

Papajohns.com Bowl, Birmingham, AL

South Carolina-Connecticut

Dave says:

The visor takes his AKC to Birmingham to face the Huskies of Uconn. These two teams have had their ups and downs this year, with Uconn having the biggest downer in the stabbing death of CB Jasper Howard. Uconn has a solid offense that puts up some great numbers. The Spurrier Fun N' Gun is really more of just a gun now, there's not much fun in the offense, with them shooting themselves in the foot at times, thus the gun. One thing I would not like if I were Uconn is that USC's DC Ellis Johnson has had a month to prepare for my offense. Johnson is a mastermind and he will have his defense ready. Eric Norwood might eat two or three players for fun before heading to the NFL. USC is good enough to win this game, and I think they will. Spurrier will take the reins back over at Florida. You just read it on the internet, so it must be true.