Pack Mentality: Ideal Tailgate Spread

What is your go-to tailgate food choice?

Please share any proven recipes or great catering options around Starkville.

My group hasnt actually cooked at the tailgate in a long time (we are too busy enlisting Randoms to take shots off the frozen bully), but we used Rest. Tyler almost exclusively for catering last year and it was excellent.

As a new father with a new kick-ass grill for father's day - I am looking for some great receipes (burgers, chicken, pork, you name it).

My wife is taking all of the Viking classes in Ridgeland and is becoming quite the amateur chef. I need to hold my own.

I recently came across this seasoning called "Awake-A-Steak" at Fresh Market. It is one of the best steak/hamburger rubs I have found. I use it on burgers and steak. It has, among other things, coffee grinds in it (hence the Awake a Steak title). I definitely recommend trying it out next time you grill meat.

You need to sign up for a free membership to view the cookbook and all the recipes from the Eggtoberfest that are held every year. There are some great grilling recipes on there, I could get shot for saying this, but it makes no difference if you cook them on the Egg or not.

Eggheadforum

Dollabillz

that boudin stuff is the best tailgate food there is. They do the food the best down there.

I'm really not picky.

FYI...for grilling on game day I always add an aluminum foil packet of soaked applewood chips to the charcoal for a smoke flavor.

Appetizers:

1. Buy some chicken tenders that are already fried (doesn't really matter where you get them) the night before. Put in Ziploc bag and pour in your favorite wing sauce. Let sit in fridge over night. Throw this on the grill first. They don't have to cook long. Just long enough to get them back to 170 degrees-ish and to let the wing sauce caramelize a bit. Right before you pull them off, sprinkle them with brown sugar on both sides and flip a few times (maybe a total of two minutes after adding the sugar). Gives it a sweet, buffalo heat, smoke flavor. Delicious and easy as hell to do.

2. Fresh green beans soaked in zesty italian, freshcracked pepper, sea salt, and wrapped in bacon. Throw on grill.

3. Vegetable and cheese tray of course. Gotta have something for the split tails.

Main course:

1. I personally am a BBQ chicken man for tailgating. You simply can't go wrong with a 10lb bag of leg quarters separated into thighs and drums. If you can't cook BBQ chicken without a recipe, this thread won't help you much.

2. No surprise here, jalapeno and cream cheese stuffed deer backstrap. If not this, I take a piece of smoked sausage, cut it in half, andremove the casing. Take a half deer backstrap, cut a hole through the center of it lengthwise and shove the sausage inside. Seasoning is up to you. I am a firm believer that there is no better seasoning for wild game than Cavendar's Greek Seasoning (can find at WalMart). It is retarded good.Good on chicken too. Right before pulling off the grill hit it with a spicy BBQ sauce and let it caramelize. Cut into disks and lay out on platter.

3. HD6's Pork Loin. Enough said.

Sides:

1. BBQ beans with ground burger, extra brown sugar, a small bag of cubed ham, and fresh diced jalapeno. I actually like this as a dip and cold. Just need some corn chips and you are good to go.

2. Cole slaw

Beer:

Free is best but I prefer NB 1554 if I can get it or just a good old fashioned 30 pack of Coors Light.

For the burgers:
    While making the patties, apply McCormick (sp?) mesquite seasoning and so that the seasoning becomes mixed up in the patty. Then place the patties in a plastic bag with Dale's to soak during transport. (I'm in Starkville, so that's not that long for me. You may want to transport, then add the Dale's before you start your charcoal so that they're not in the Dale's too long.) Then, grill them as you would any burger. When done, apply your cheese of choice and allow to melt before removing and enjoying.
    For the pork tenderloin:
    Marinate in soy sauce with some brown sugar and other spices you might want as well. Some suggestions would be seasoned salt, garlic powder, or onion powder. This should be done the night before.
    On gameday, simply grill for about 12-14 minutes on each side, cut and enjoy. Makes a really good sandwich if served on rolls.

On the chili, it's not something I've ever really been involved with. Another guy who tailgates with my group handles that and always does it for the last home game of the year. But oh it's so good.

Twitter
    @missouridawg3

Buy some Johnsonville sausages (mild or hot)... butterfly them... and then baste them in a mixture of the sauce. The sauce is 3 parts Heinz 57 sauce and 1 part Honey (make as much as you need). Every time you turn the sausages on the grill, add another coat of the sauce. I usually end up cutting the finished sausages into bit sized pieces... great as an appetizer and very easy to make.

Not earthshattering... but absolutely delicious.

For as nice as the Grove looks in tailgate mode, the food leaves a lot to be desired.