Hybrid View

Pack Mentality: Best Weekend Vacation

DS's trip to Chicago got me thinking. I also would like to take a weekend vacation (3 or 4 day) sometime this summer and was looking for some good ideas. When I started looking into it, I really wanted to go to places like Charleston, Hilton Head, Kiawah Island, etc., but the plane tickets to the east coast are just fawking ridiculous. I dont mind spending a lot on a great resort, but I refuse to pay $600 to fly to South Carolina when it costs under $300 to fly to New York or Chicago. That is just stupid.

So, would love to hear suggestions on great weekend vacations, especially leaving from Mississippi. Include where you stayed (good resort suggestions, etc.).

DS's trip to Chicago got me thinking. I also would like to take a weekend vacation (3 or 4 day) sometime this summer and was looking for some good ideas. When I started looking into it, I really wanted to go to places like Charleston, Hilton Head, Kiawah Island, etc., but the plane tickets to the east coast are just fawking ridiculous. I dont mind spending a lot on a great resort, but I refuse to pay $600 to fly to South Carolina when it costs under $300 to fly to New York or Chicago. That is just stupid.

So, would love to hear suggestions on great weekend vacations, especially leaving from Mississippi. Include where you stayed (good resort suggestions, etc.).

d

nt

Just depends on what you want to do. I like New Orleans for a relaxing weekend within driving distance. Destin is good for a driving destinantion, especially for golf. What you looking for? Family, golf, just the guys, baseball, football?

driveable (long, but doable). Golf, deep sea fishing, plenty of bars. Go karts and stuff for the kids.

I second what you said about flying. It's like the costs have doubled this year or something. Been trying to figure out where I can fly for a decent price for months.

I have to admit, I haven't been to Panama City in a long time. But that place is like the armpit of Florida.

A little further up 30-A is more my speed - Watercolor, Seaside, Watersound.

Probably going to be with the wife. I am really looking for a relaxing weekend.

But really I was looking for any ideas for a great weekend getaway.

New Orleans is one of my favorites.

We have a place in Destin and go there all the time, so we are looking to do something a little different.

I don't know what is open after the floods.

Obviously it is price wise for me and my wife due to my aunte living there but Branson Mo is great place to visit. They have lots of things to do. Not just old country singers. We go at lest once a year for four days or so. Not a hard drive but if you cut up through Arkansas, it is a fun drivegoing through the hill country.

The wife will love it. Hit F'hope during Mardi Gras or Arts and Crafts Festival. Was there last weekend for my 30th HS reunion.

Twitter
    @SixPackSpeak

The Jazz Festival in New Orleans is a good weekend to go. Take your pick of hotels on Canal because they all seem to be the same. Not as nice as you'd like but good enough to lay your head down after a night of heavy drinking. There is the one hotel on Bourbon, I can't think of the name, that appears to be really nice. I was planning on going last Labor Day and staying in one of their rooms over looking Bourbon, but work had to screw that up.

A weekend trip to Savannah, GA would also be pretty sweet. I want to go back and take the haunted pub tour. Of course Lady & Son's is highly recommended, but just make sure to call ahead for reservations because it's near impossible to walk up and be seated. Tybee Island is ok, but I'd prefer to stay in the market area or on the river walk. There's more than enough to keep you, and the wifeentertained on the weekend.

We are fast food eater with the kids and we eat with my aunte but the regular resterauntes stay open. The shows that have food might stop at 7:00. Don't know. We are not country musci fans and do not catch shows. We go for Silver Dollar City and other kids stuff. My aunte lives in Kimberly City on Table rock lake. It is the town next to Branson.

BD

open 24/7.

Interesting late night customers, too.

Shogun of Harlem Optimus Prime 4's Avatar

if somehow you haven't seen anything in twenty five years, it's awesome.

Twitter
    @fishwater99

If Fairhope is your favorite place on the planet. Grand Hotel is old and needs to be updated. The service and food are both sub-par. The golf course is pretty nice though..

The Baptist Las Vegas.

It's really weird when the performer who is supposed to be acting like Red Skelton really thinks he IS Red Skelton.

You can fly or drive from Mississippi. I prefer to drive so I don't have to rent a car and I can stop my Lambert's in Sikeston. Watch the Cardinals for a three games series- vs the Cubs or Royals would be ideal.

Go to the Landing on Friday, the Arch, the Courthouse, the zoo, The Hill, Union Station. Oh yeah- and the Anheuser Busch brewery.

You can also stop by Memphis on the way back.

Seaside and Watercolor are great vacation spots, and if you are more into camping wether in a tent, rv, or camp then Grayton Beach sate park is a great spot as well.

A trip out west to Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming or any of the national parks for that matter in the area (for example Glacier National in Montana) are always worth the trip. Every time I have been out there I have always loved it. Great opportunities to sight see, hike, trout fish, and just get a way from everything for that matter. Grand Canyon is also pretty bad ass. I just have a personal love for Yellowstone. My one trip to Glacier was memorable as well and if I get the opportunity I will go back sometime in the future.

that place is freaking nice. The grounds are gorgious, and the food is pretty good. Fantastic pool. Really really nice spa. When is the last time you went?

but nobody dare speak ill of legendary performer and fellow former Sledge resident Charlie Pride in my presence.

Vegas, with a helicopter side trip to the Grand Canyon floor for breakfast (or lunch)

Brice, Zion, and Canyonlands NPs

Moab and Arches NP

Telluride. Was there yesterday. Cool temps, no crowds, stay at Capella Hotel, eat at COSMO or La Marmotte (or both if your wallet can stand it). Go ATVing or fly fishing.

Austin TX if you can stand the heat. Side trips to Fredericksburg and Salado.

Not like being in Birmingham or Alabama at all. Felt like Scotland and plent of nice resturants and shops in Hoover.

Ross Bridge

Another Link

Isn't that the cut off everywhere?

Shogun of Harlem Optimus Prime 4's Avatar

nm

Airfare is usually pretty cheap there and I have never been there.

Twitter
    @fishwater99

Went two years ago. The grounds, spa, pool, & golf course are immaculate. Our problem was with the food and service. We were sent out some oysters that had a basket of crackers that had several packets that had been gnawed on by a rat, mouse, or other animal. We sent them back and asked for the F&B manager, all we got was a I am so sorry. They should have at least comped the oysters, we got the full bill. I call that shitty service, and will not go back and will tell everyone who asked about the Grand about it. Bo telling what is running around in their kitchen.

than "its old and needs updating"

Our service and food have been flawless and I tell everyone that.

SixPack's Official Farmer DesotoCountyDawg's Avatar

Stay in some cabins about 25 miles outside of Branson that are on the lake. We go out on the lake to tube or fish, go golfing, basically do nothing for 4 or 5 days. We enjoy it.

It's all in what you are looking for I guess. I despise the beach so I have no desire to go to on the coast so I head for the mountains.

nm

Cabins right across the street from the mountain. Unbelievable ATV trips Miles of desert dunes on one side and thick mountain trails right across the street. A wide, slow, deep river where you can swim that leads to rapids that can be rafted or kayakd.
    You will not be dissapointed.
    Also - there is an amazing hot springs there that is unlike anything you have ever seen. Hot water flowing out of the top of this rock that cascades into bathtubs (that are almost impossible to get in because of the temp) which flow to other bath tubs, and then into small pools then into one large pool. Each step down gets cooler.
    There is something to be said about sitting in the pitch dark, in a bathtub staring up at the stars with almost no sound other than the sound of hushed voices around you with the fragrant smell of purple and orange weeds.
    PM me if you want to know who to contact.

nm

Sea Island
    Kiawah Island

Haven't been to either but they look awesome.