Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pack Mentality: Beach (Book) Season. Best books you have ever read (or read lately).

If you are like me, the only time you ever read is when you go to the beach. I just never find the time even though I love to read. The beach is when I knock out about 90% of my recreational reading.

Last summer I finally read Catch 22, a classic that is a must read, especially for most of the members of this board, because it is full of sarcastic humor.

Other favorites of mine:

Flyboys - James Bradley (not the same as the weak ass movie that came out a couple years ago - great book about Navy pilots in WWII).
    The Heart of the Sea - Nathaniel Philbrick - crazy story about whalers who get shipwrecked and are forced to cannibalism
    Blindness - Jose Saramago - not really an all-time favorite, but read it last summer and it was pretty good.

Pack Mentality: Beach (Book) Season. Best books you have ever read (or read lately).

If you are like me, the only time you ever read is when you go to the beach. I just never find the time even though I love to read. The beach is when I knock out about 90% of my recreational reading.

Last summer I finally read Catch 22, a classic that is a must read, especially for most of the members of this board, because it is full of sarcastic humor.

Other favorites of mine:

Flyboys - James Bradley (not the same as the weak ass movie that came out a couple years ago - great book about Navy pilots in WWII).
    The Heart of the Sea - Nathaniel Philbrick - crazy story about whalers who get shipwrecked and are forced to cannibalism
    Blindness - Jose Saramago - not really an all-time favorite, but read it last summer and it was pretty good.

Other favorites of mine:

Other favorites of mine:

In this order 'Tis, Teacher Man, Angela's Ashes. Also, most Crichton stuff. David Sedaris is hilarious. World War Z was a lot better than I thought. Dave Barry, anything. Bill Bryson, especially A Short History of Nearly Everything. A lot of Clancy. Current read, Chasing the Game: America and the Chase for the World Cup by Filip Bondy... excellent read.

For folks on this board, Friday Night Lights is a great book. Probably the best sports book I've ever read. The movie did notdo it justice.

Unlike most of his other books, this one is not a western. Its a historial fiction story set in the Middle East around 1300AD.

ETA: The Fist of God by Frederick Forsyth. Yet another historical fiction story set in the Middle East. This time during the Gulf War.
    I also like the Ben Rich story of Skunkworks that someone mentioned.
    I saw several mention The Count of Monte Cristo. While I've never read the book, I did watch aweek long mini-series (this one http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0167565/) of it complete with subtitles since it was in French. Damn good story. Guess I'll have to read it one day. While the mini-series format was deeper and more complete than the movie that came out a couple of years ago, I'm sure there were probably things that were left out that I'll find in the book. Gotta love a great revenge story and the way he did it.

The Leadership of Robert E. Lee.

If you are a history buff and a business person, this will change your life.

for sitting in the balcony with a cup of coffee in the morning, and a cocktail at sunset. Easy reads and very entertaining. I strongly recommend the Bourne series. The movies are a steaming pile of shit in comparison.

I'll also second the Count of Monte Cristo as maybe the best book I've read.

/Facebook answer: The Bible!!1

Finished it a month ago, and it was phenomenal. I only suggest you read it if you understand the basics of bonds though.

True story of Dickie Scruggs, Zach Scruggs, Paul Minor, Joey Langston, etc.

Followed by The Longest Day and A Bridge Too Far by Cornelius Ryan. Any Steven Ambrose book.

is a good one about the 1916 shark attacks. Makes for a good beach read. Reading The Last Stand by Philbrick now, about Custer and Sitting Bull.

My two favorites. And no I'm not an atheist or buddhist.

Blood Meridian - Follows a kid who joins up with the Glanton gang in the 1850s. Best book I've ever read. Violent and beautiful at the same time.
    The Road is great as well, and a much easier read for someone who wants to start reading McCarthy.

I just finished reading Suttree. Story about river life in the 1950s around Knoxville. Really funny at times, but sad as well when the characters can't seem to catch a break.

Also, A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. And pretty much anything else by either of these two authors.

The most brutal story ive ever read, heard, or seen. Horrific detailed account of what happened in Sierra Leone. It was an incredible book and kept you interested the entire time, even with all the real life terror.
    Friggin tragic.

Yep, that was some Rand smack right there.

...and no it wasnt at all serious. It was quite dumb, actually.

Shogun of Harlem Optimus Prime 4's Avatar

Classics: Catcher In The Rye, Animal Farm, LOTR trilogy
    Sci-Fi: Ender's Game, Earth Abides, The Postman
    Fiction: Palahniuk (Fight Club, Choke, Lullaby, Diary, Survivor)
    Non-Fiction: In Cold Blood, Mindhunter (about profiling serial killers)
    History: Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, The Whisperers (about life under Stalin)
    Politics: Economics In One Lesson, End The Fed, Ethics of Liberty
    Sports: Moneyball

Another good non westernLamour is "Last of the Breed"
    Currently reading "Blood's a Rover" by James Ellroy. Third in a trilogy - rough, filthy but fascinating historical fiction about the period in US histiory from 1958-1972

...the 'holy shit' moment in "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" is absolutely awesome and you will piss off your entire family after that because you won't put the book down.

If you're looking for a more macho read.. Ben Rich's "Skunk Works" is fascinating about Lockheed's years of developing black programs for the CIA. U2 spy plane, SR-71, F-17.

Or pick up Greg Isles (from Vicksburg, no less) "Black Cross". It's a helluva good WWII yarn spanning from modern day back to the war.

Also a great paperback for the beach would be James Clavell's "Shogun".. it's one of my all-time favorite novels. Follow it up with Tai-Pan and Noble House. Great, great reads... and you'll learn a lot about Asia/Hong Kong.

Loved the Travis McGee series back in the day. Also enjoyed the Tony Hillerman series about the Navajo tribal police. Hated to hear he died a year or so ago.

should think about getting one and then you can download any book originally published before 1930 for free. I have been reading old Sherlock Holmes and downloaded about 40 free books as well as some other bargains. If you liked Catch 22 make sure you read some Vonnegut like Breakfast of Champions and Slaughterhouse 5. I would recommend A Terrible Glory (about Custer and the Little Big Horn) for history, The Getaway by Jim Thompson, something by McCarthy (No Country for Old Men, Blood Meridian, or The Road), With the Old Breed, Starship Troopers or Stranger in a Strange Land, The Alienist, A Coffin for Demetrios, The Spy Who Came in From the Cold, Berlin Game by Len Deighton.

I am admittedly not an avid reader (heh) but this is one that I bought back in the day.

Also have one called "Dead Solid Perfect" by Dan Jenkins. A buddy gave it to me since I like golf. I haven't read it (see above) but it's described as funny and bawdy.

AA - Facebook answer #2: Playboy!1!!

if you like crime stories...any Jack Reacher novel (the author is Lee Child).

is all the stuff about Norway I don't understand, but the context makes it easy. Are the two follow up books as good?

The godfather is probably my favorite ever.

Quote Originally Posted by 1984Dawg

For folks on this board, Friday Night Lights is a great book. Probably the best sports book I've ever read. The movie did notdo it justice.

just about to finish... Dumas gets a little long-winded at points but it is a good read.

Think it will be my next read. About the Saints from Katrina to the Super Bowl.

I probably read at a 2nd grade level, so anything longer than a page is hell for me.

I have to go with a children's book of poetry: A Light in the Attic, by Shel Silverstein

agree on cormac mccarthy. blood meridian and cities of the plain are my favorites, but i like most of his books. wasn't a big suttree fan. outer dark and the stonemason are good. the road and no country for old men are easier to pick up than others.

i like william vollmann, but i mostly read his fiction and not his journalism. some people here might like 2666 by bolano. underworld by don delillo. hemingway wrote good short stories and they're almost always fun to read

I haven't read Starship Troopers or Stranger In a Strange Land, but I just read The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress. It was also good. Galapagos by Vonnegut is also good.

I finally pulled out an atlas of Sweden and Stockholm so I could follow along with where they were in the books.

In the middle of Two Towers. For those who have never read it, I just advise you to push through the first half of Fellowship. It moves really slowly before they get to Bree.

I thought "you know.. I'm gonna read me some Tolkien." After 200 pages I thought "you know.. I'm gonna watch me some movies."

Maybe I should try again.

And I know people who hate the movies just because they don't have Tom Bombadil in them. To those complaints I ask what did he have to do with the overall story. He was much more useful as a literary device. The scenes are excised in almost all movie/television adaptations because Chekhov's Gun matters far more in film than in books.

That being said, the movie did make a lot of changes such as character consolidation and elimination, and giving the love story too prominent of a role. Plus Merry and Pippin are made out to be clumsier than they really are in the books. And there was a much greater sense of urgency in the movies. However, a straight up adaptation would have made for a terrible movie.