Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Pack Mentality: Beach (Book) Season. Best books you have ever read (or read lately).

best.

Pack Mentality: Beach (Book) Season. Best books you have ever read (or read lately).

i liked the ending in the books better than the movies. i don't care about tom bambadil at all. i kind of wanted to see the barrow downs. that's it, i liked the movies

I read Slaughterhouse 5 and was disappointed. It was good, but I didn't see why it merits so much praise for being an anti-war book, and I am anti-war. Because it is supposedly very pro-war, I have no desire to read Starship Troopers. I do want to read Stranger in a Strange Land, though. I also want to read Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut.

Had great reviews on Amazon and seems really good so far.

http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Angels-R...7748904&sr=8-3

The Man-Eaters of Tsavo - Official account of John Henry Patterson and the attempt to build a rail line while being attacked by two man eating lions., the movie the Ghost and the Darkness were based on this.

Charlie Wilson's War - great book

To Try Men's Souls - Fiction butbased on historical accounts of the crossing of the Deleware and the events that surrounded it. If you can read this book and not feel a sense of awe and patriotisim you must be a terror suspect. Honestly one of the best books i've read in the past 5-10 years.

nm

nm

Is The Fountainhead worth a read?

Pure Zen Golf.

All-time? Probably To Kill a Mockingbird, The Sound and the Fury, and Crime and Punishment. A Christmas Carol, Crichton (esp Jurassic Park, book better than the movie), Stephen King, Kafka, and The Great Gatsby.

Non-Fiction? The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt and The Devil in the White City.

Recently? In Cold Blood.

I never really got into Vonnegut myself. Good, but not enthusiastic enough at the moment to read the rest of his work. I'm onboard with McCarthy, Blood Meridian is fantastic. As far as Tolkien, I agree that you may need to push to get through Fellowship. I first read it off-and-on over the course of a year, but then blew through Two Towers and Return of the King. The Hobbit is good too, but don't expect it to be like LOTR. I need to read more Hemingway (maybe give those short stories a try), but I was let down a bit by The Sun Also Rises.

..readable, accurate, and covers the economic, political, social, religious, racial and other aspects of that region from earliest development.

by John Grisham is pretty damn good. There's a lot of crazy twists and turns that make it really hard to put down.

would add Pat Conroy's books Great Santini blows the movie away. Lords of Discipline, Prince of Tides,

would add Larry McMurtry - I still consider Lonesome Dove to be "The Great American Novel" funny serious thought provoking. Texasville - funny, funny LOved everything he ever wrote - even Terms of endearment.

would add Leon Uris as an old writer Exodus,

James Michener - Space, Hawaii, Chesapeake, Texas

If they weren't mentioned

Jaws, The GodFather

Sorry for dumping this on folks

Shelby Foote - The Civil Way: A Narrative - massive three volume set takes a yearto read, but well worth the effort of time becauseNOone put it into words etter than Foote.

Earnest Shackelton( story about an expedition to the Antarctic)

Shogun of Harlem Optimus Prime 4's Avatar

he plays around here a lot.

From Crichton: Sphere, Congo, State of Fear, Jurassic Park and The lost World are great reads. Any of Clancy's earlier novels are excellent.
    All of these are cases where the movies do not do the book justice. the books are MUCH better.

I think it was written by C34.

I forgot that I knew that.

Never heard him though although I do the blues.

Here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50765737@N04/

Hope this is kosher Maybe the blues is a sport

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meoff
    Is The Fountainhead worth a read?
    Yes it is worth the read. It's really long, but you'll get caught up and read 75-100pgs in one sitting. It has about 7 main characters and the characters are very unique and you'll find yourself pulling for certain ones. I'm not an avid reader at all, although I plan on it one day, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

reading is integral to my job.

Very, very funny book featuring the one and only Ignatius J. Reilly.

and they are making a movie with spielburg behind the director.....awesome book if you like old school mississippi

The Big Short is a really good account of the financial crisis and how a few fund managers made out like bandits anticipating it.

Lone Survivor is first hand account of a battle in Afghanistan involving 200+ Taliban soldiers and 4 Navy SEALs. After reading that book, I put up my skirt and went back to work.

I'll put it on my list. Check out the item suggested by other users on the book's Amazon listing.

The World According to Garp - Weird but a great read.

Some recommendations:

Flann O'Brien: At Swim-Two-Birds & The Third Policeman.
    Salman Rushdie: Midnight's Children. (have not read Satanic Verses)
    Charles Portis: The Dog of the South. (need to read True Grit sometime)
    Neil Gaiman: American Gods, The Graveyard Book, Sandman, Coraline, Stardust, and more. (maybe the best contemporary author at the moment)
    Mikhail Bulgakov: The Master and Margarita
    Eudora Welty: The Ponder Heart
    Ferrol Sams: Run With The Horsemen, The Whisper of the River, When All the World Was Young,
    Nick Hornby: Fever Pitch, High Fidelity, About a Boy, Songbook, A Long Way Down
    Terry Pratchett: Discworld series, Wee Free Men series. (new Wee Free Men book coming out this fall)
    Brad Watson: Heaven of Mercury, Last Days of the Dog-Men (haven't read his latest collection yet though)
    Larry Brown: Fay, Joe, Rabbit Factory, Billy Ray's Farm.
    Barry Hannah: short stories and The Tennis Handsome.
    John Grisham: A Time to Kill, The Firm, The Testament, The Chamber, The Rainmaker.
    W.E.B. Griffin: Everything but his Philadelphia cop series (needs a good copy editor though-- usually can find a mistake/typo in his books)
    Tom Clancy: All Jack Ryan universe books up to Red Rabbit (Teeth of the Tiger was a bit disappointing but there's a new Jack Jr. book coming out this year supposedly) and Red Storm Rising.
    Orson Scott Card: Ender series.
    David Brin: Uplift series.
    Harry Turtledove: Guns of the South, WorldWar series, etc.
    Andrew Vachss: Burke novels.
    Richard Stark/Donald Westlake: Everything.

You have some good stuff there. I'm reading the Ender series now, and it's very good. I've never read the Uplift series by Brin, but I have read the Postman. It's great, although the movie with Costner is supposedly terrible. I tried to read a couple of different books by Pratchett, and I quit reading both because they sucked. I don't know if they were part of the Discworld series.

Speaking of series, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Harry Potter. Despite all the hype and it essentially being a kids' series, I enjoyed them when I listened to the audio books narrated by Jim Dale. I highly recommend those books for anyone looking for something entertaining to listen to. Dale does a great job.

I also enjoyed the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. The book within the 4th book, Wizard and Glass, taking place before the 1st book when the Gunslinger is a teenager, is one of my favorites.

The Narnia series by CS Lewis is also a great series and theologically as deep as it gets despite it being a series aimed at children. His Space trilogy is also very good.

He does have the occasional book that is not (even the Wee Free Men are considered part of Discworld, but it's a Young Adult oriented series which is very good-- a lot like Harry Potter in that regard) though.

The Uplift books are very good. The Postman is too. I like postapocalyptic fiction so stuff like The Postman, Dark Tower series, S.M. Stirling's Emberverse/Nantucket series, The Stand, A Canticle for Leibowitz, The Road, Swan Song, and Alas, Babylon all appeal to me.

I know that The Postman movie adaptation was panned but I thought it was better than I'd anticipated. Maybe it's because I had low expectations going in because of the bad reviews.

The Narnia series is very good; another very good series from the opposite viewpoint is Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials series. Oh, and since I brought up Stirling, I might as well add that his Draka series is awesome.

Any of the Bryant and May mysteries by Christopher Fowler
    "When Christ and His Saints Slept" by Sharon Kay Penman
    The Wars of the Roses by Alison Weir - not so much a novel as a history text. Was still pretty good.
    Watchmen - read it before the movie came out and couldn't put it down
    Also read a lot of Agatha Christie a few summers ago - thank you library. You also can't go wrong with Sherlock Holmes

Also, the new Scott Turow sequel to "Presumed Innocent", called "Innocent" is a good read. If you want some Mississippi flavor, pick up something by Larry Brown. Jeff Shaara's trilogy on WWII is pretty well done. I just got into Cormac McCarthy, very intense stuff. Leigh Montville's bios on Ted Williams and Babe Ruth are good. So is David Maraness' bio of Vince Lombardi "When Pride Still Mattered". And anything by Tom Wolfe. And since the 4th is coming up, try David McCullough's "John Adams" and "1776".