Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pack Mentality Double Play: Best Restaurant in Mississippi; Jackson

I have definitely had the Yocona v. Anthony's fight with many of my Ole Miss friends and many small towns across the state boast incredible eateries. This really won't be limited to fine dining, but the combination of atmosphere plus food is important I think.

So lets put the question to the masses this way: If you were moving to Germany tomorrow and were given the choice to eat at one Mississippi restaurant before you left the Country, where would you go for dinner? Just to get some more variety, feel free to list your favorite places in Jackson if they are different from your statewide selection. Favorite dishes at said eatery are welcome too.

I will start it with:

Mississippi: Anthony's...There may be better food out there, but not much better and Blues Night (RIP) will always have a special place in my memories. Hard to beat their citrus vinaigrette and chicken anthony.
    Jackson: Shapley's for me with Walkers a close 2nd. I get the filet at Shapleys and the tamale app.

I have definitely had the Yocona v. Anthony's fight with many of my Ole Miss friends and many small towns across the state boast incredible eateries. This really won't be limited to fine dining, but the combination of atmosphere plus food is important I think.

So lets put the question to the masses this way: If you were moving to Germany tomorrow and were given the choice to eat at one Mississippi restaurant before you left the Country, where would you go for dinner? Just to get some more variety, feel free to list your favorite places in Jackson if they are different from your statewide selection. Favorite dishes at said eatery are welcome too.

I will start it with:

Mississippi: Anthony's...There may be better food out there, but not much better and Blues Night (RIP) will always have a special place in my memories. Hard to beat their citrus vinaigrette and chicken anthony.
    Jackson: Shapley's for me with Walkers a close 2nd. I get the filet at Shapleys and the tamale app.

I will start it with:

I will start it with:

/

Mugshots in a close 2nd. For me, anyway.

Also receiving consideration... Sakura Bana in Jackson.

That way I could enjoy great tasting food and drink a cold beer in a place that has never failed to have a good atmosphere in previous stops there.

and Ive been eating there since I was a child. As far as quality service and atmosphere there is no better.

If I were going to have a great "fine dining" meal....Ruth's Chris in Ridgeland is by far the best steak and dine place in the Jackson metro area. If it is a good experience, Amerigo or Char would fit the bill. Walkers is fine, and so is The Little Meramaid out a Lake Caroline, but Ruth's Chris tops them all when it comes to service, wine, and great food.

Wraps in Maywood Mart has better food.

Dollabillz

nm

I'd say Walkers is my favorite restaurant in Jackson. I'd beat someone close to death for the Redfish Anna.

Ruth Chris's?

Have not tested the waters enough in other areas of our fine State to render an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDawg
    I'd say Walkers is my favorite restaurant in Jackson. I'd beat someone close to death for the Redfish Anna.

IMO, it's slipped a few notches in the last couple of years.

Best restaurant in H'burg these days is the Purple Parrot.

the most overrated restaurant on the planet.

Might as well go to the Sizzler.

How can anyone go wrong with blues on the stage in a smoke-filled room at lunchtime. All you can eat buffet that included fried chicken livers in gravy, and I think it was fat-free...

Cheers,

Teed

chops at Tico's. Maybe I should thank Tico's for my move to Colorado. I'm in Colorado Lamb heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol Blue
    the most overrated restaurant on the planet.

Might as well go to the Sizzler.
    I have to agree withOl Blue about Doe's, I have been to Doe's 4 times, 3 times because I had friends that came in and said they had to eat there because of what they had heard about it.They definately have the health department on the payroll, each time there were cockroaches crawling on the walls and table. Steaks are average on best, I have had way better, and the tamales at Fat Mama's in Natchez and some little dive inVicksburg are better than Doe's.

is our favorite at the moment. Pad Ped and Green Curry spicy are our favorites. The place is rather unassuming and they have weird hours (they close at 8:00 pm) but the food is fresh, tasty and delightfully different - at least for this MS boy.

A few comments from urbanspoon: Click here

...you're right that it's slipped some but I think it's rebounded. Purple Parrot is very good. I've not eaten there in quite some time though.

The Canebrake Clubhouse is a winner, but I don't know if it qualifies as far as the purposes of this thread are concerned.

with the fried seafood platter or the redfish.

For Mississippi, I'll go with Mary Mahoney's in Biloxi with the Presendential Platter and the gumbo, and then any other entree.

Kiefer's is and will always be superior to Wraps.

Lillo's - Mississippi

Wraps beats Keifer's easily for quality of food, even if Keifer's is a better place to go if you have an hour or two to kill and want to sit outside while you eat and hang out.

the restaurant where you are least likely to get shot would get my vote.

Any suggestions?

Kind of a pretentious name but the food is wonderful and the ambiance (on the edge of Fort Bayou complete with setting sun) is too. The food took a dive right after Katrina but now is back to it's former excellence. Be sure to start off with the gumbo.

You pick the town.

my top pick. Cherokee gets a shout out too for the lunch plate, burgers and fried mushrooms. I only ate at Crechale's once but I liked their stuffed flounder. Hal & Mal's had pretty good food too for a bar.

Get a house in Rankin County with Catvet.

for the fried green tomatoes. For Jackson, I'd go with Ichiban, because who doesn't like making yourself throw up from the cheesy crab concoction.

The stuffed catfish is phenomenal. Add that with their cheese fritters.... mmm............

Runnerups:

JOURDAN RIVER STEAMER - KILN, MS
    DOE'S EAT PLACE - GREENVILLE

Been to RC a half dozen times in past 18 months. The food is great, but in no way is their service, steak, seafood, wine, etc., in the same league as Shapley's.

When Shapley's was created, they could've right then stopped making new $$$ restaurants because no others compare.

Crechale's is pretty good and the Mayflower.

The fried soft shell is one of the best things I've ever eaten. The fresh redfish, lemon, or speckled trout are tops as well. If they have whole flounder, get it. Eaten there close to 50 or so times probably, and I've never opened the menu. Just look at the board and order.