Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Pack Mentality Double Play: Best Restaurant in Mississippi; Jackson

Im getting pissed off just thinking about it.

easily one of the 3 best dishes in town.

Mayflower, Walker's, Shapley's still reign supreme.

But if its my last meal before Germany, I go Hamil's. We take for granted how easily we can get some good soul food here.

What about Como? Never been to the steak house but I heard it was very good.

Something about chickens running around in the yard, the feeling you were going to fall through the floor, and drinking the "recycled" sweet tea that could have passed as syrup just made the BBQ that much better.

not to long ago. That use to never happen. Ruth Chris has my vote on steak and service.

They are ready to step it up and go for a nicer location and better atmosphere. The only reason to go to Keifer's over Wraps is the atmosphere. I wish Wraps would invest in a place nearby that had a better outdoor eating/atmosphere situation (similar to what Newk's did in the Rogue building). The food is outstanding.

Going to Leatha'sdoesn't have the feel of a special trip.

The best restaurant in MS is w/o a doubt IMHO Mary Mahoney's (with Anthony's a close second).

The best restaurant in Jackson is Shapley's with Walker's a close second. (Char is also quite good)

Coming to the coast in a couple weeks and our list includes Mary Mahoney's, BB's, Biloxi Schooner, 32, and Anthony's Under the Oaks.

d

The view of the sun setting on the bayou is spectacular. And the food is very good.

From someone who's currently living where the seafood ranges from "edible" to "WTF is this supposed to be?" I'd kill for some decent shrimp.
    For Jackson: I'm going with Nick's.

has to be on the day that they are having fried chicken or fried pork chops though at the Round Table.

edit: Ibelieve thatif I were leaving the country and knew I might not be coming back that I would want some good ol' Mississippicomfort food.I'd rather eat in a pre-civilwar house with home cooking the way it is supposed to be done for my last meal than sitting in a fancy restaurant. Just me. I can fine dine in Germany when I get there but sure as hell can't get what they are serving at Walnut Hills.

best pokechop anywhere

Leatha's would grow exponentially if you could get a drink there. Still a fun place to go. But if you could buy a cold beer with those ribs...

Quote Originally Posted by Notch Johnson dawg
    Runnerups:

JOURDAN RIVER STEAMER - KILN, MS
    DOE'S EAT PLACE - GREENVILLE

SixPack's Official Farmer DesotoCountyDawg's Avatar

If you don't think Keifer's is the best restaurant in thejackson metro area you are ignorant and just plain wrong

nm

Filet on top of blue cheese grits is the best steak I've ever had. Menu changes every now and then but it's all good.

My party was being a little indecisive in choosing what they wanted, so the owner of Wraps decided he would order for everybody. It was bold and weird, but everybody went with it, and truly enjoyed the selections.

For me it is a toss up between Mary Mahoney's and Anthony's.

JimHalpert.nafoom

The steak was good, but they give you about three pieces of squash as the side and the service was awful. It took almost thirty minutes to get a drink and we had to wait another hour to get our food.

But some of the other steak places mentioned make it a tier 2 place in comparison. They cook a good steak for a decent price.

Another Delta place that I thought would be mentioned is Crawdad's in Merigold. I haven't eaten there in years but it used to be really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol Blue
    the most overrated restaurant on the planet.

Might as well go to the Sizzler.
    Comparing Doe's to the Sizzler? I see that you are not a connoisseur of rating great steaks there Ol Blue. Whats ur favorite? The Applebee's sirloin special, cooked well with a side of ketchup...maybe even butterflied for that extra well, charcoal taste?

great seafood and Italian cooking. I would hate to try and pick only one or two. There are lots of great ones all over the state.

nm

I have never felt the love for Lusco's. If in Greenwood I would pick the Crystal Grill any day. But don't tell that to Delta folks.

Grew up in Jackson, and am a huge Keifer's fan. Moved 4 years ago, so obviously it's pretty new.I could eatKeifer's pita motz and a gyro for every meal. Vasillios in Madison also has a good gyro.

SixPack's Official Farmer DesotoCountyDawg's Avatar

The last few meals I had there were sub-par.

It's in the old Pizza Inn location at Maywood Mart in Northeast Jackson. The owner, Yianni, is a Mr. Meoff-like party animal, except 20 years older. In my opinion, he has the best gyro in town. His "Yianni Special" will make you want to slap your mother and anyone around her. It's a pita mozz filled with chunks of seasoned chicken and lamb and tomatoes, onions, lettuce, feta, etc. It's messy but it's incredible. I definitely recommend it.

in Biloxi

d

I'm also a big fan of Tico's

nm

Overpriced and average. They used to be great. (Terrific Cathedral across the street may have the best stained glass in Mississippi).

Try Lil' Rays in Long Beach for coast seafood. Other favorites are all on Pass Road in Biloxi: Mr. Greek, The Korean restaurant next to Mr. Greek, and Sakura on the corner of Pass and Eisenhower.

But none of these is the best restaurant in Mississippi. Nothing pops into mind on that, though I do remember a little Lebanese place in Fondren. Got no name for it tho.

formerly Phillip M, in Philadelphia.

I thought this was to be for restaurants in Jackson...but reading others....

the steak was teh suck. Very disappointed.

I will be checking it out next time I'm in town

The menu does change often but very rare to get a bad meal.

Walker's for me in Jackson and Leatha's in Hattiesburg

you'd find me up at mudbugs or crawdad hole gorging out. i typically cook my own but if i had to go get some before leaving the country youd find me there with a cold case of beer by my side