Pack Mentality: Best SEC away game experience....

Please feel free to enlighten us on your best road trips. Best bars and places to stay in each town are welcome too.

Please feel free to enlighten us on your best road trips. Best bars and places to stay in each town are welcome too.

Twitter
    @SixPackSpeak

we went in 2000 and it rocked. Just had a good time in the 5 points area. The actual football game experience sucked because it's in the middle of the fairgrounds and just doesn't have a college feel.

As far as actual football games - I really enjoy going to Auburn.

The town I disliked the most was Gainesville.

I have yet to go to Athens, Knoxville, and Lexington.

I sure as hell don't remember the names of all the bars we went to, but the night life scene was pretty damn good w/ quality talent consistently experienced at each venue.

at least in the 80s and 90s...

hostile, yet accommodating...hot, drunk chicks everywhere.

Twitter
    @SixPackSpeak

even when we lose by 50.

tricky as hell on like the 3rd floor part of the bar and seemed like a maze to get up there. Complete with a swing over the bar that chicks would sit in and swing above the bar. Fun time...

That said, I thought the talent, both times, was lacking although we did meet these 4 chicks at a restaurant the first time we went and they met up with us after they got off and showed us a pretty good time. Oddly enough when we went back a few years later (hadnt heard from them in a few years) the "ring leader" of the group had gone full lesbo and was making out with her date or whatever. We just happened to run into her at of course the knock knock club. Crazy shit

SixPack's Official Farmer DesotoCountyDawg's Avatar

We had a good time when we went to Auburn. Everyone tailgating was nice to us of course they knew they were about to beat the shit out of State so I would be nice too.

I thought Knoxville was kinda of dirty looking. Campus was ok until some old man starting singing Rocky Top in our face.

Agree with Columbia, SC. Great time in 5 points. And I thought it was a good game day experience with the unique cockaboose railroad. Bad, bad way to end the game though with that reserve qb throwing that fade route.

Most fun ever away trip was BYU and staying at Robert Redford's resort at Sundance.

Most fun is a tie between Columbia and Athens. Ditto what DS and others said about Columbia. As for Athens, they may have the best bar scene in college football and I really like the stadium and campus feel as well.

Least favorite was Knoxville. Just not a fun town with an uninspiring campus and bar scene. Also, the fact I needed rock climbing gear to reach my seats was not a plus.

JimHalpert.nafoom

Game over. Awesome, awesome town.

Funny thing. Despite the fact I grew up in Biloxi, spent summers in Mandeville, missed only a single home game during my five years at MSU, and made most road SEC trips at least once... I've never been to LSU for a football game. Basketball, yes. Football, no. I had tickets during my sophomore year but ended up not going because I had a physics final I needed to study for. Good thing is we ended up losing by 50+ so not too sorry I missed that one.

Rabid Rebel Sheep crammed in like sardines, the overwhelming smell of piss and Abner's cold chicken strips... What a joke of a shithole.

is that this part
    during my sophomore year...we ended up losing by 50+
    could have been typed by just about any State student...ever.

Have been a few times but once went for UM and UF that town blows. Auburn is ok, love UGA ARK suxs both in little rock and on campus.

Quote Originally Posted by jakldawg
    is that this part
    Go to the game. You can study when you get back.

They always have great food and plenty of booze. Were usually nice until the 2 hours before the game until 2 hours or so after.

Bama was fun during school since it's so close, and lots of students usually made the trip. Gullette's is a fun bar. And it's right down the road from some bbq nacho stand that stays open pretty late.

Gainesville and Colombia (was supposed to go to the last 2 and shit happened) but the best college town experience has to be Athens. They have 64 bars in a 4 block area downtown. Auburn is really nice and the people were friendly and I really liked the game day atmosphere there. We went to Lexington for a basketball game and let me tell you Rupp Arena is no joke, its the best facility basketball or football in the sec.

nm

Athens is the best. I enjoyed auburn and lsu but the number of quality bars and the fact they are located right across the road from campus made it a great experience. If you've never been do yourself a favor and go next year. I know I'll be there.

I would say that I would think that Athens would be the favorite for most people, and it is good. Near Atlanta, if you stay in the town it's cool to, and they have a nice stadium and their fans in general were about as friendly as you could expect.

My personal favorite is Alabama. I think for me, I like it because we have some rivalry, and I like seeing what all kind of Bear Bryant crap that they have to sell to people- like Bear Bryant coasters.

We usually play them tough and so it's usually a good game at least, win or lose.

I've been to every SEC stadium except for Fayetteville because they refuse to play us anywhere other than Little Rock.

In hindsight, yes it is bad advice. The test was Monday. I studied all weekend and still did shitty. I ended up dropping the course eventually. So kids, basically go to the damn games.

It is like a home game for the away team. Plus Nashville is a pretty cool town to hang out in.

Dollabillz

Athletic facilities are nice, but surrounded by ugly chain link fences and shit. Aesthetically terrible. Baseball outfield has the breathtaking view of McDonalds and Burger King.The town is a dump too. Yeah they had some bars in one area, but I don't judge towns based on that. It's just too......Arkansas.

Columbia, five points, great food, night life, friendly people, dandy whores.

Been to every football stadium in the league except Kentucky, but have been to Rupp.

Gainsville is like Pensacola, nasty ass town with mean ass people.

Beautiful Campus. Nice Stadium. Great bar scene. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit and I can't wait to go back.
    If I had to pick a 2nd, I'd say Auburn. Not so much for the nightlife, but I love their stadium and I've always thought their fans were really nice, hospitable folks.

Maron Whit

not your typical away game experience, but on NYE it was pretty cool. for your normal away game atmosphere, I really like Kentucky, we normally play them in late october, cool weather, beautiful scenery, and many other things to do besides football

Most fun: Baton Rouge
    Coolest Stadium: Auburn
    Best Atmosphere: Tuscaloosa
    Most Overrated: Knoxville

Been to Columbia but not during football season
    Never been to Gainsville or Athens
    Don't give a shit about Fayetteville or Lexington

One of the best weekends of my life. Incredible bars, right next to a beautiful campus, tons of young people, pretty much any scene you want. Edges Austin as the greatest college town/city I've ever been to. Gonna do everything I can to go back next year.

- Gainesville's bar scene does blow but the ladies there are a different breed and worth partying with (see: lingerie party in '05)
    - Baton Rouge is fun, but the bars aren't that impressive at all. The people just get drunk as shit. Chimes, etc. are nice. Never ever go to Tiger Land. Ever. Hunt Club multiplied by three.
    - Knoxville was pretty. Bars were decent.
    - Hate everything about Tuscaloosa.

Still haven't been to Columbia, Lexington, Fayetteville, or Auburn.

My favorite SEC stadium too.

can't be beat in the SEC. Nashville is fun because you usually have more fans than Vandy and downtown Nashville is great.

Auburn probably has the best atmosphere though. Gainesville SUCKS.

As far as personal best road trip - Stillwater, Oklahoma, 1998.
    Worst road trip ever: Pick one of these three: Eugene, Oregon, Gainesville, Florida, Morgantown, W.V.

ammon and I were talking about the lingerie party this morning, I hate I missed that but we had one hell of a time in athens thanks to Mr. Athens himself.

Quote Originally Posted by jakldawg
    is that this part
    I was in college in 1980-1984 seasons. Beat LSU all five years.

"I like seeing what all kind of Bear Bryant crap that they have to sell to people- like Bear Bryant coasters."

frickn awesome

There is not a group of fans anywhere that are bigger fans than aTm fans.

Athens is always a great time.

Been twice. The first time we took a boat up the river and tailgated in the middle of the volunteer navy. Me, my family, about 250 state fans, and 3 kegs made the 11:30 kickoff. The second time, my tailgating crew went. About 20 of us stayed in a cabin in the smokies. Played golf one day and just made a vacation out of it.
    Auburn's pretty cool as far as a stadium experience. Gainesville and Oxford both blow. Bammer's ok.

unless you sit in the student section - then they have their hands up the whole time doing silly cheers and blocking your vision. Have had notable nightlife experiences in BR, Tuscaloosa (cops nearly drug us away for breaking into Bryant-Denny at 2:00 a.m. but forgave us when they felt sorry for us b/c we went to MSU), Nashville, Columbia SC<<< great place for girls. Knoxville was pretty terrible on both game experience and night life, went there in '08 and heard rocky top about a dozen-million times and have determined that the only word(s) to the song that the faithful know is the "whoo" part where they all throw their fists up.

Never been to a game or out to bars at Ark, Aub, Ox (daddy taught me never to go there), Athens, Gainsville, or KY. But pretty sure Athens would top them all if I ever were to make the trip.

All in all SO FAR - baton rouge - if you don't mind debauchery.