Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pack Mentality: Best Outdoor Grill for under $500

So I am getting a gift certificate to Lowe's for my birthday, and my 10 year old gas grill fell apart a long time ago. So, I need a gas grill, if it is a charcoal combo, that is fine. Lets hear some testimonials. I don't want something that is going to rust and fall apart in a year.

So I am getting a gift certificate to Lowe's for my birthday, and my 10 year old gas grill fell apart a long time ago. So, I need a gas grill, if it is a charcoal combo, that is fine. Lets hear some testimonials. I don't want something that is going to rust and fall apart in a year.

I use a Char Griller charcoal grill and it's a tank. However, they make a combo model that seems to be pretty good. And it's only $300.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_5..._product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_CharGriller_4294857754%2B42949617 01_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0| |p_product_quantity_sold|1

but only if I already have a gas grill. I have to have a quick option for just random weeknight grilling and my current gas grill is a huge joke. I like to use charcoal when I have extra time on the weekends.

Great grill. Holds a bag of charcoal and uses one of those little coleman fuel bottles to light the charcoal. The grill is 22.5 inches wide. I bought mine several years ago for around $300. Its a weber so they stand behind the quality and you can order replacement parts if neccessary. I am going to need another charcoal great soon and its nice that Home Depot carries them in stock instead of having to order over the internet.

Weber Performer

Don't know about specs, but when I was at Lowe's several years ago, my grillmaster buddy told me to be sure to get a model with cast iron grates. Takes em a while to heat up, but they'll hold heat a long time once at temperature. Don't get the cheapy porcelain coated ones.

I've had charcoal, barrel smokers, charcoal smoker combos, and then the below gas grill. The Char-Broil infrared series blows them all out of the water. It's worth the extra money.

Char-Broil Quantum Commercial Series 4-Burner Stainless Steel Gas Grill

...who is giving out $500 birthday gift cards? I am getting gypped.

It will cost you a little more than $500, but a BGE is the only way to go. I was a gas grill guy for years. I wanted something I could get started easy and fast. When my last gas grill died, my wife got me a BGE for my birthday. I will NEVER own anything else. I can get it started and ready to cook just as fast as any gas grill, and the food is 100 times better. It also has a great range from low and slow to super hot.

I told all my family (wife, parents, sister, etc.) to just pool their money and give me a gift card instead of all buying me separate gifts.

But not looking to spend $800-$1000 right now.

I like it. It gives you the best of both worlds and it's inexpensive (as far as grills go). I'm sure there are better/more durable combo units out there, but a hefty price is likely going to follow.

There is a side fire box for smoking that you can add as well. It's about 60 bucks. I put one on earlier in the summer. Again, I'm sure it's not up to par for serious smokers, but for the casual barbecue-er, you can't really go wrong.

The biggest downside is they have porcelain grates that are tough to clean. I'm sure you can buy replacement grates if they bother you enough.

You can't go wrong with that combo char broiler. I got one and I use the gas for "quick grillin" and the charcoal when I am making an event out of it. It has the one stove eye and you can get the smoker attachment as well. You could get the whole setup for under 400 probably even less.

Another plus, if you are grillin one night and run out of gas you can just throw some coals on the other side and keep truckin instead of driving your drunk ass up to the store for another tank.

The one downside is if you are grillin for a large group you will have to fire up both sides because neither side is overly large.

Edit to note: If you have a truck, pay the extra money to have them assemble it for you. I actually rolled the floor model out the door so I didn't have to pay but I have put a grill together before and I'd rather not again.

..Spend about $250. Keep it for 3 summers and when the burners finally rust out during that 3rd year, toss it on the heap and trust that the chinermen have made another one.

I have seen everything from it's awesome to people saying that the parts are cheap as hell, rust easily, etc.

I like the look of it and the price isn't bad, but I don't want to pay $500 for something that is going to fall apart in 2 years.

From everything I have read, that Weber gas grill at lowe's for under $500 is the way to go. Those things apparently hold up better than any other brand. I am really looking at that one and the Char-Grill Duo - it has great components and is cheaper.

My wife got me an XL green egg three years ago for Christmas. Not only can you sear a ribeye to perfectly rare inside & just a tiny bit of char outside; you can do the finest smoked pork, chicken, or turkey. I smoke a lot of shoulders & can set the grill to 225 at 5:00 am. I don't have to touch the thing until they are ready to remove from the grill 12 - 16 hours later (with the exception of adding a few hickory chunks every couple of hours). I have even done some Turduckens that turn out fantastic.

Viking also makes a ceramic smoker (the C4) that is very similar but not as large as the XL green egg. It is wrapped in stainless steel & looks great, but cost over twice what the egg does. Cant go wrong with the Green Egg. It is worth every penny!

it's called the Cypress Grill. Works exactly like a BGE, costs $700 completely outfitted, side trays, stand, whole shooting match. I've had one since May, and love it, can smoke, grill, and bake on it. I have done everything from 15 hour brisket cooks at 220 degrees, to 700 degree steaks in 8 minutes, lots of pizzas too. Can light it and be up to temp in 15 miutes, cook something, shut off both dampers and shut down airflow, reuse coals for next cook. Ceramic cookers are the way to go, if you want to spend the money.

Genesis and Spirit. I bought a Genesis Silver B about 4 years ago and it cooks as good today as it did the day I bought it. Now they split the Genesis into two lines. The Spirit is the two burner, the Genesis is the three burner with some other upgrades.

I would buy a Weber Spirit over any of the other fancy grills for the following reasons:
    1. Temperature constancy throughout the grill will be better than the big ass whiz-bang units. It is a little cooler in the front, but not much.
    2. The thing never breaks, and when it does, finding replacement parts is easy. I used to buy the fancy cheapies. When they broke, you could never find the right replacement part. I had a $400 grill and had a problem with the grates after 3 seasons. Guess what. They were a non-standard size they didn't make anymore. That was the last straw for me.
    3. You get just the features you need in that price range. Who the hell uses the side burner? I guess you could use it to fry outside of the house. That sounds neat, but I have a fryer for that. Anything I need to heat up, I'm going to do on the stove top. A rotisserie sounds nifty, but you might use it once before you realize it's less trouble to just turn the bird every now and then.

Now my other advice is to just buy a Weber kettle. It cost $70 and I use it 10x more than the gas grill. Get a charcoal chimney and you have a fire in 20 minutes. You just have to start the coals before you start the prep. I think the flavor you get off charcoal really makes a difference. They make more expensive ones, but I've had the small one for 3 years and I plan on using it for another 5.

And build your own.

Bought this 4 years ago and it's still performs like a champ, easy maintenance too. Agree with Jack, cast iron is the way to go. However it does have it's limitations.

http://www.weber.com/explore/Grill_d...?glid=5&mid=35

Pro:
    -Cast Iron grate, 10-15min to warm up but sears like a champ
    -easy to clean and not very many parts
    -portable, taken to beach/camp/tailgate many times
    -can run on standard propane tank (requires adapter) or blue propane soldering bottles
    -Cost ~$190 and you have some money left over for a charcoal grill

Cons:
    -Small, 280 sq in or 10 +chicken thighs. but comes in different sizes, perfect for quick random grilling, I use a charcoal kettle for larger events
    -bad for indirect (one burner). again i use the kettle for indirect grilling.
    -No stand

Everyone knows that ceramic cookers like the BGE are the shit. I am not looking to rule the grilling world. I just want something well made and reliable that cooks evenly and doesn't break the bank. I know a lot of other people are interested in the same thing - but you still don't want to spend even $300 if the burner is going to fall apart and the whole grill rust in a year. That is why I am trying to get an idea from folks on the board that have under $500 grills.

Really, this is where I am leaning. I had the same plans about getting a Weber Kettle later for charcoal grilling. I think I might nab the Genesis 3-burner for $499.

When I was thinking about the Char-griller Duo, I kept thinking to myself, why not just get a better gas grill and get one of those little kettle charcoal grillers for the weekends. Seems like the way to go.

I have the Bayou Classic version of the BGE and LOVE it!...it is the exact same grill as the green egg, and everything that will fit the large green egg will fit the bayou classic....they are local and quality...i have seen the bayou classic version in the lowes at flowood. It is gonna cost you about 650 i think, but the 150 difference will be more than worth it! If you are ever going to purchase a non-namebrand, this is the purchase to do it on....it literally is the exact same thing, but youre not paying for the name.

I love my Chargriller. Had it for a year and cook everything on it. It has the cast iron grates and added the firebox to it.

It has tons of grill space. I can cook 20 burgers at one time easy. I also switched from charcoal briquettes to hardwood lump charcoal. absolutely no comparison. The food tastes better and stays hotter longer.

Also under $200.

Will cost you right at $500, but well worth the money. Had one for a year that runs on natural gas. The propane model is less.

If you can get it under 500 dollars, leave from wherever you are right now and go buy it. I paid 6-700 for mine.

The hood on it is well made, and the grills are made in the USA (don't quote me on that; I know that the company at least is USA). Replacement parts are easily found at Home Depot, and you can go with cast iron/ceramic or stainless steel. It is also fairly easy to take apart and clean. Provides a nice even burning surface and you can do a lot of different things with it.

Here is a good review for it.

http://www.bobbysbest.com...ne-gas-grill-review.html
    http://www.consumersearch...iews/weber-genesis-e-310
    http://bbq.about.com/od/w...views/gr/aapr040507a.htm

In these links you can see how much this grill is at other places. You're basically getting an amazing grill at an excellent bargain.

the actual Bayou Classic store in Brandon. That would be the way I would go.

One area where you and I differ is that if I had $500 to spend now and wanted to get the Big Green Egg, I would save up money for another month or two and get the grill I really wanted.

I don't see where it makes any sense to spend $500 now just because that is all you have at this very moment. I went through numerous gas and charcoal grills, some that cost as much as the BGE, they were all shit. Even the expensive Webers had burners and trays that rusted out in one years time. To be honest, I grill 4-5 days per week so my grill takes a beating. I saved up money and bought the BGE and have used it for 6 years. The only grill I would consider instead of the BGE is the Primos ceramic grill.

The Bayou Classic, while being the same shape as the BGE, is not the same thing. I have cooked on one several times and it is much harder to get high temps and also more difficult to maintain. My guess would be they are having a draft problem but I could be wrong. I have only cooked on one a few times.

The BGE a proven grill/smoker and it has a ton of accessories available while the Bayou Classic has none.

Do yourself a favor, don't let the $500 burn a hole in your pocket, save up some money for another month or two and get the best grill on the market.

which was a long time ago. Anyway, I just bought one for the condo in Starkvegas and it really is a great grill. You can control the heat, it cooks large portions, and it will last you a lifetime, cast aluminum. $250.

http://www.pkgrills.com/?gclid=CLiH4...FctW2godYRwzIw

location anymore. I checked it out a few weeks ago and they were quoting the same price as Lowes. I think that offer may have gone away when Lowes picked up distribution. I agree this is a fine grill.

I just replaced the bottom cause it was rusting out. I've had it about 7 years and it is well worth the money.

I've got a gas grill as well for quick grilling during the week, but for steaks, ribs, bostom butt or brisket the Char Griller is the way to go.

either getting to temp., or keeping it at temp. Got mine to 230, put on 3 racks of ribs, went to the lake, came back 7 hours later and it was still at 230. Mon. night, I started the coals with parafin sticks, 20 minutes later it was at 500 degrees. I will give you the fact that they don't have the gadgets that BGE does yet, but all BGE gadgets fit in the Bayou Classic, just bought a plate setter Mon., fits perfectly. But if you just want to spend the extra 300-400 dollars go ahead, I didn't.

Azzuri, I understand you want to spend no more than your gift certificate, but I was just offering the best alternative, in my opinion, that Lowes has to offer since that is where your going to spend your money. I grill more than you do obviously, and I wanted the best grill I could get, with the most flexibility. Sorry for trying to be helpful, it won't happen again.

And This...

And you'll still have about this...

Here is my take on grills and if your serious about grilling.I have 3 of them. I have a large smoker, a weber charcoal grill and a gas grill that I dont even know the name of. I bought the gas grill for $99 at Lowes.

I use the smoker when I want to smoke, I use the charcoal grill (which I prefer) when I have the time, and typically I use the gas grill during the week when I dont have time to jack with charcoal.

Gas grills, whether you spend $99 or $2500 the thing is going to shit out in 5-7 years. I have seen it happen to too many people. They go buy a $1000 gas grill and by year 3 the are putting more money into repairing than it's worth. I fully expect my piece of shit gas grill tocrap out at any time. So when it does, I just put it on the curb for Jimenez, and go get another one at Lowes for $99 bucks. I have had this gas grill for 2 years and have not had one problem with it. It's not the greatest by any means, and has hot and cold spots, but it gets it the job done. My two cents.

Shogun of Harlem Optimus Prime 4's Avatar

I've never used one in ten years of having them. That's why I have a stove. You can get a nice big gas grill for <$200, and like you said, they're disposable.

Quote Originally Posted by goshdawgit
    either getting to temp., or keeping it at temp. Got mine to 230, put on 3 racks of ribs, went to the lake, came back 7 hours later and it was still at 230. Mon. night, I started the coals with parafin sticks, 20 minutes later it was at 500 degrees. I will give you the fact that they don't have the gadgets that BGE does yet, but all BGE gadgets fit in the Bayou Classic, just bought a plate setter Mon., fits perfectly. But if you just want to spend the extra 300-400 dollars go ahead, I didn't.

Azzuri, I understand you want to spend no more than your gift certificate, but I was just offering the best alternative, in my opinion, that Lowes has to offer since that is where your going to spend your money. I grill more than you do obviously, and I wanted the best grill I could get, with the most flexibility. Sorry for trying to be helpful, it won't happen again.

The biggest problem I had was that I could not get the Bayou Classic hotter than 500. I like to cook pizzas at 550 and steaks at 700+ which is easy to do on a BGE. As I have said, the Bayou Classic grill was not mine so I have no clue if the ashes were cleaned out or if any of the holes were plugged with ashes but I could not get it as hot as I wanted to.

This may not be a problem at all, just was my experience cooking on it a couple of times.

for what it is. But it works great.

http://www.pkgrills.com/

nm.