Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Pack Mentality: Best Outdoor Grill for under $500

on a side burner than on the grill.

Get a Weber Kettle (Gold) and a Weber Spirit 210. It's a little over $500 for both but worth it. You also want to get a few items for the Kettle. A Smokenator (http://smokenator.com/) turns the Kettle into a great smoker--I don't have a problem keeping temps between 225 and 250 for three-four hours without adding charcoal (and you can buy Stubbs all natural briquets at Lowes). Just drill a hole in the kettle lid and attach a basic grill thermometer. You also might want to buy Grillgrates (http://www.grillgrate.com/), 3 of which should do the job on both the kettle and the gas grill (gas trumps charcoal when you're in a rush). With those items you'll be able to make great low-and-slow BBQ (I recommend apple, pecan and/or hickory for smoking) as well as anything you want to grill quickly. I have all of this as well as a Green Egg. The Egg is superb but expensive, heavy, and hard to move. You'll also need a plate setter and a few other items makes the egg a first-rate smoker that keeps temps steady for as long as you need. If I wasn't given an extra large egg (I married well) I'd prefer to spend that amount of money on a backyard model of a Jambo Pit (http://jambopits.com/). Plus there are some other gadgets that are cool to use (i.e., rib rack, roast holder, veggie basket) with the webers. All of these things will allow you to stay outside and away from the wife and kids when you need a break.

generally cook pizzas around 500.

Twitter
    @SixPackSpeak

I have a natural gas gril that I got about a year ago. We have a line from our house so I thought I might as well use it so I won't have to worry about propane tanks. For some reason, the temperature never gets above 375.

What was on there previously was a smaller grill but this one is much larger. The grill I bought was propane but I used a converter kit to convert it to natural gas. So do you think I need to call a plumber to see whats up or does natural gas not get that hot?

The BGE is the only way to go, dont waste your money on a 2-3yr grill crappy gas grill.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime 4
    I've never used one in ten years of having them. That's why I have a stove. You can get a nice big gas grill for <$200, and like you said, they're disposable.
    when we were without power for a week or so and cooked all our meals on the grill and basically lived on the deck. But I agree, in normal times, it is worthless to me.

Where I live, the place that sells them doesn't deliver and I don't have a forklift and a pickup truck to bring the thing home. Those things weigh a hell of a lot. So....I don't have one. Poor pitiful me.....

nm.

I have a pick up but was in my company car and stopped by to pick mine up 6-7 years ago. We set it in the front passenger seat and put the seatbelt around it to hold it in.

You don't need a forklift or anything like that, you just need a buddy to help you get it out of the car. Your excuse might be the lamest I have heard not to buy an Egg.

Quote Originally Posted by weblow
    I have a pick up but was in my company car and stopped by to pick mine up 6-7 years ago. We set it in the front passenger seat and put the seatbelt around it to hold it in.

You don't need a forklift or anything like that, you just need a buddy to help you get it out of the car. Your excuse might be the lamest I have heard not to buy an Egg.
    No argument from me....I'll accept that.Theforklift comment was streching a tad, but I would still prefer to have it delivered.

I think they are great. The replacement parts are VERY easy to come by, and I get very evenly distributed heat across the burners. The burners can be easily removed and it comes with plugs that are placed in the gas line leading to the burner attachment to prevent charcoal ash from getting inside. Therefore, I can cook with charcoal and fire up my side burner to cook beans or whatever else you would like to cook. I believe the grill cost around $400 and I have had it for 4 years now. I just replaced the burners this summer and it costs around $100 (there are five burners).