Walking In Memphis

Touched down last Wednesday night in the Land of The Delta Blues for what The Fool would call a little game of "Footie". Took a few of the crew with with me and introduced them to what I consider a vastly overrated hotel and city.

Now, don't get me wrong, parts of Memphis are ok. Sun Studios, Stax Museum, Gracland, and a quick walk down Beale,just to say you've done it.

After that... blah.

Except one thing........ The River.

Put me near that much water and things can't be all bad. Through a friend, I arranged a little morning boat ride out on the Old Man.

I tell you right now that a thing I hope to do one day, is go way the hell up north some place where I can put in a good boat and pilot that sumbitch all the way downriver to somewhere in the Conch Republic.

Being out on that river will most definitely bring out your inner Huck Finn..

That night, of course, was the game that brought our merry crew to those parts.

What can you say? State did what they should have. I'll give my take in a later post.

The next day was sight seeing time. Sun, and Stax, lunch at the Rendezvous(again overrated, but you gotta take the first timers there), then on to Graceland.

Ole E's Stony Lonesome. Being everyone but mine's first visit, it was amazing to see the reactions to the place.

Awe, confusion, amusement, bewilderment, amazement at the Ole Boy from Mississippi's accomplishments, and around the grave,( shockingly from this crew), reverence, and I believe, a little sadness.

They would have stayed longer but they started kicking everyone out.

As we went down that driveway and back across the street, I could tell that my bunch didn't see this as a normal tourist stop. This, as cheesy as it sounds, touched some emotions.

They bought all kind of crap at the gift shops. Unheard of with this bunch, who would rather die before they got caught looking like tourists at any other place on earth.

The King has been dead, what, 35 years? And still gets this reaction and generates that kind of money.

A truly American phenomenon.

I just wish Elvis would have spent more time down at the river. Channeled his inner Huck Finn and piloted a good boat down that big bastard.

That's a hell of a high right there.

Then maybe he wouldn't have gotten on all that shit that killed him.

Saw the ghost of Elvis
    On Union Avenue
    Followed him up to the gates of Graceland
    Then I watched him walk right through
    Now security they did not see him
    They just hovered 'round his tomb
    But there's a pretty little thing
    Waiting for the King
    Down in the Jungle Room

Walking In Memphis

I liked her better.

Walking In Memphis

I guess you could say it was. The picture was so big it messed up the layout of the post. I liked it better also.