Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Recruitnik
    Literally a Cocksucker

Holiday Inn Express of Starkville Preseason Prognosticators - Week 11 - Ole Miss

I'll tell you at least where my optimism comes from. For me, it's because we found out after the fact that our previous coach was treating practices more like the Junction Boys than anything else. That would explain a lot of the reason why we would play well for 3 quarters and then not be able to hold on for the 4th.

I really don't think our issues last year had that much to do with lack of talent. We had QB issues, and we had some experience issues, but overall, we were able to still overcome most of that and be competitive. We just couldn't finish off games because our coaching staff apparently thought it'd be a good idea to push the team non-stop, which caused them to play most of the season on dead legs.

I feel like we'll be better at the QB position, more experienced at every other position (with the exception or RB), and I feel like the attitude adjustment/conditioning adjustment will be enough for us to get over the hump in a lot of those games this year.

I really don't see anyone being unreasonable here either. The best conference record I see an Ole Miss fan predicting is 4-4. That would make for a decent season. You may not want to believe it, but we have the talent on our team to be at least mediocre. I don't think that's a huge stretch.

Holiday Inn Express of Starkville Preseason Prognosticators - Week 11 - Ole Miss

How does us picking the game equal us considering it an easy win. HD didn't mention that stuff because he was simply pointing how stupid your comment was. I don't think anyone but maybe cb9 and bonedaddy consider it an easy win. However, it is perfectly reasonable to pick us to beat Mississippi. It is also reasonable to pick Mississippi to beat us.

The flaws in your posts are outstanding. Let's start with Harbison coaching offensive players most of his career. That's totally false. He coached wide receivers for 4 years at Alabama, 2003-2006. From 1994 to 200-3, he coached defensive backs.

State's turnaround wasn't a one year deal. The Ole Miss turnaround won't be either.

Congrats to Nutt, he won 6 of those games aGAINST 6 of the worst teams in SEC history. Aren't you trying to use a similar logic to discredit Croom?

And lastly, where are you seeing all this easy win talk? It's not in this thread.

Goat Holder

"No matter how unlikely it is, if State can do it, surely Ole Miss can. Can't we?" - Ole Miss Sheep.

Lose to Wake out of conference, beat Arkansas, South Carolina, and Vandy in conference.

probably in a year less than we did. Call me in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    VegasDawg13[/b]]

How does us picking the game equal us considering it an easy win. HD didn't mention that stuff because he was simply pointing how stupid your comment was. I don't think anyone but maybe cb9 and bonedaddy consider it an easy win. However, it is perfectly reasonable to pick us to beat Mississippi. It is also reasonable to pick Mississippi to beat us.

Just for the record I don't think it is an easy win. It won't ever be an easy win for either team.

Goat Holder

I think they will get back quicker than we did, I think we were in alot worse shape than they were at the deepest point of the valley.

BUT.....all this talk about returning players, a strong defensive line, young talented unproven running backs.....eerily similar to the wool many on this board, especially myself, had in preseason 2006.

We won 3. Add a decent QB to that mix and I think they can go 5-7 and with some breaks 6-6. Not much better than that. I don't predict a bowl game for them at all. They will, however, probably beat us, because that's how State rolls.

HD you are right on one thing. I haven't seen too much optimism here about the Egg Bowl. I guess I've been infected with the total nonsense over on Genespage. I just can't bring myself to post there though.

I do see State's turnaround as a one year thing. I mean MSU went:

3-8 in 2004
    3-8 in 2005
    3-9 in 2006
    8-5 in 2007

That's a pretty big jump in one year. Granted you didn't change coaches that year, but most teams don't make a five game jump in the victory column in one year, at least not in the SEC.

And you started with a coach who had never been a head coach at any level. Nutt doesn't fit that description. Now I'm not saying that Nutt is the "end all be all" of college coaches, but he certainly is someone that MSU has had difficulties with. Sure he beat up on bad MSU teams, but Ole Miss lost to a few of those MSU teams.

Sorry for the intrusion, I guess I should stop reading genespage.

Twitter
    @SixPackSpeak

you should learn how to reply. Instructions below...

Goat Holder

nm

Goat Holder

I like to think of Croom like Schiano. Maybe O was doing the same thing? In '05 and '06 the team was terrible, '07 you seemed to get the bad bounces, maybe this year O would have gotten some of those bounces?

Or, like many Ole Miss fans think, he was just inflicting more and more damage while recruiting thugs a la Sherrill '02.

We'll find out soon enough, and I'm curious.

The thing that doesn't add up is how Ole Miss fans, the same ones I mentioned above, expect a big turnaround after O completely massacred the team. If O really was building a good foundation, Nutt may win this year. If he wasn't, he won't.

Shit, Nick Saban could even take a 6-6 Bammer team and win 8 games. Why should Ole Miss?

Well frankly I don't expect 8 wins, I think 7 would be the limit, and that's assuming some team overlooks us.

I kinda doubt Orgeron would have gotten any good bounces this year. He's just not what I'd call a lucky guy. I'm just glad I can watch an interview with the Ole Miss head coach and not cringe.

Recruitnik
    Literally a Cocksucker

Well, and another reason many of us are thinking positively about this season is that we've received a decent amount of positive attention in the pre-season. We're not being picked higher than 4th in the division by anyone, but many bowl projections include us, and we've received a lot of hype as a potential surprise team.

In past years, for both of us, most times the optimism from our fanbases hasn't been echoed by any outside sources. It's been solely positive thinking within the fanbase. For us though, it's not just Ole Miss fans saying we have a shot to have a decent team this year. If it was just Ole Miss fans, then it would be different.

8-30-08 MEMPHIS W
    9-6-08 at Wake Forest L
    9-13-08 SAMFORD W
    9-20-08 VANDERBILT W
    9-27-08 at Florida L
    10-4-08 SOUTH CAROLINA L
    10-18-08 at Alabama L
    10-25-08 at Arkansas W
    11-1-08 AUBURN L
    11-15-08 LOUISIANA-MONROE W
    11-22-08 at Louisiana State L
    11-28-08 MISSISSIPPI STATE W

"Remember, that eight win State team was only three points better (at home) than the worst Ole Miss team in school history coached by the worst HC in SEC history."

Your Monday Morning Cliche. Nice start to the week.

You know, this makes sense to me.

Sincerely,

Rich Brooks and Tommy Tubberville

Reply deleted with enforcement of Rule 18

W: Memphis, Vandy, ULM, Samford

Tossups that I think we can pull two wins from: Ark, USC, & MSU

Losses: Wake, Florida, LSU, Bama, & AU

I think 7-5 is possible, but 5-7 is also.

Memphis- W
    @Wake- L
    Samford- W
    Vandy- L
    @Florida- L
    USC- L
    @Bama- L
    @Ark- L
    Auburn- W
    ULM- W
    @LSU- L
    MSU-W

I think we lose one early we shouldn't (Vandy), and we win one later we shouldn't (Auburn). I think we get better towards the end of the season.

Goat Holder

Ole Miss will not beat Auburn this year.

W- Vandy, Memphis, Wake, ULM Lose to everyone else, yes, even to Arkansas. 0-8 to 8-0 doesn't happen in a year MedReb. "I find it hard to believe that most MSU fans think they'll win in Oxford. I mean Orgeron nearly beat yall on your own field last year, and State is 1-9 against our new head coach. I just don't see the logic." You're an idiot.

Thats going to be an insane atmosphere. I also think Arkansas is going to be better than people think. I think we can beat Auburn. Its at home, we will be up for it. It can easily happen.

I'll say:

Memphis- W
    @Wake- L
    Samford- W
    Vandy- W
    @Florida- L
    USC- W
    @Bama- L
    @Ark- W
    Auburn- L
    ULM- W
    @LSU- L
    MSU-W

(7-5) (4-4) Only blowouts are LSU and Auburn. Bama is close as usual, Arkansas doesn't have much talent left.

This is a team that almost won 8 games last year, missing out due to the fact that they employed the worst HC in SEC history. Now that one of the nation's most respected traditional college football powers has a coach to match it is east to see that no mere SEC team can compete with them. These last 3 years have been a aberration MooU fans. It is painfully obvious that you aren't in the same class as the mighty Rebs. You can't gain a victory straight up without a gift, and you have no chance of ever beating Lord Houston D. Nutt. Get off the tracks now or you will be mutilated beyond recognition by the powerful Rebel Express.

I think Nutt is worth a few more wins, and Jevan Snead was a pretty good QB at Texas.

Memphis- W
    @Wake- L
    Samford- W
    Vandy- W
    @Florida- L
    USC- L
    @Bama- L
    @Ark- W
    Auburn- L
    ULM- W
    @LSU- L
    MSU-W

What Would Freezus Do? hatfieldms's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thelaw
    W- Vandy, Memphis, Wake, ULM Lose to everyone else, yes, even to Arkansas. 0-8 to 8-0 doesn't happen in a year MedReb. "I find it hard to believe that most MSU fans think they'll win in Oxford. I mean Orgeron nearly beat yall on your own field last year, and State is 1-9 against our new head coach. I just don't see the logic." You're an idiot.

What Nutt did to MSU while at Arkansas has absolutely nothing to do with what he will do at OM. It is a dumbass argument. I am guessing you are also ready to admit that Cohen will now dominate Bianco just because he has everywhere else? Idiot

Ws - Memphis, Samford, Vandy, Louisiana-Monroe

Wins over Samford, Vandy, SC and ULM

Jevan Snead was a pretty good QB at Texas.
    He was the back-up. Just looked up his career stats at Texas, 7 games played, 26 of 49, 371 yards, 2 TD's, 1 INT.

Yeah. He's real good.

Ole Miss goes 5-7 (2-6)
    Memphis - W
    @Wake - L
    Samford - W
    Vandy - W
    @Florida - L
    USC - L
    @Bama - L
    @Arkansas - W
    Auburn - L
    ULM - W
    @LSU - L
    MSU - L

Goat Holder

now go bitch about how everybody else's posts are useless.

Whether MSU fans like it or not, UM got them a good QB when Snead transferred there. And those stats are actually fairly good. They would have ranked him 6th in the SEC in passing efficiency last year.

Recruitnik
    Literally a Cocksucker

And...he was a true freshman. You can't judge a QB too much by what he does as a true freshman, because most true freshman QBs don't put up great numbers.

You should know this with your QB you had last year. Snead may be great. He could be average, or he could end up being a bust. Either way, I wouldn't use his freshman year as much of an indicator.

Nice try though.

I think most reasonable fans will give him the benefit of the doubt and I feel fairly certain most state fans would be pretty excited about a qb with those credentials wouldn't they?

I say 5 or 6 wins, even though I do think that this OM team is a good bit more talented than the State team that won 8 games last year. It's all about chemistry, momentum, and luck. Everything bounced State's way in the close games last year, and all of the losses were fairly decisive.
    There may be 3 potential 1st round picks on the Rebel Dline alone, and those guys are finally upperclassmen now. Throw in Trahan, Sanford, and Walker, and you've got yourselves a defense. The Oline is also very seasoned and has two NFLers, so the offense will all come down to Snead. And judging from the spring game on tv, Snead might be an upper tier SEC QB, talent wise.
    I'll say wins over Memphis, Samford, Vandy, Arkansas, ULM, and MSU.

Goat Holder

even the worst UM haters. You think people like Johndawg will admit it to you? Alot of QB's are good, Snead ain't special. Now shut the hell up.