OT - home internet service

I was w/ ATT and my modem went out; I was paying about $40 month for 3 MEG; They offered the same price for 6 meg but I have to buy a new modem and will be under contact for 2 years. Please make it easy for me by suggesting better alternatives. If I go w/ this do you have modem suggestions?</p>

Much larger bandwidth than DSL.

As a new AT$Tcustomer you get 6.0Mbps DSL for $15/month or so, with a $100 modem that has a $100 mail-in rebate. 1 year, no contract, then up to $40-$50/month. When my first year ran out they signed me up for a new account for the deal again. It is ONLY worth it for that price. For $40 a month, get cable modem.</p>

The cable modems I have had with Comcast have a higher bandwidth, but they were reallyinconsistent. It showed the most when trying to watch streaming video. I would get a lot of data all at once, then very little, then a lot.<div>
    </div><div>With DSL I get a reallyconsistentstream. Video start times (e.g. Netflix) are faster and I have fewer interruptions.</div><div>
    </div><div>It could have just been where I lived / my connection / etc, but I'm not going back.</div>

Quote Originally Posted by boomboommsu

As a new AT$Tcustomer you get 6.0Mbps DSL for $15/month or so, with a $100 modem that has a $100 mail-in rebate. 1 year, no contract, then up to $40-$50/month. When my first year ran out they signed me up for a new account for the deal again. It is ONLY worth it for that price. For $40 a month, get cable modem.</p>
    I agree that DSL is only worth it if you're paying a much lower price than you would be for cable. I got ATT DSL last year and was only available at 3megs which sucked for anything other than just surfing the web. Definitely couldn't handle something like Netflix. I pay $5 more a month for Comcast cable (I have Directv for tv) and it's ten times faster. I won't get into how ATT screwed me on my contract. Never again.<div>
    </div><div>Sounds like some people have had good experience with ATT though, so who knows.

</div>

My AT&T 6.0 DSL recently went from the intro $20 to $48 a month. I called and requested the advertised $20 for one year offer, and she said it was for new customers only. I asked what was to stop me from canceling and opening a new account. She said I'd have to wait 6 months. I just told her to cancel my account.

I don't know how they would keep track of it if I just signed up with the wife's info. I don't really have many options where I live. I'm just tired of having to be under AT&T for anything. Depending on where you live, it's almost like a monopoly on phone and Internet service.

Dapaw

Is AT&T uverse an option or just their DSL? I have had them all, just switched from Comcast after 5 years with them, had dsl a few years before that. Comcast is faster, I would test up to 30 meg with them, but they have what they call power boost which kicks in when testing so it's not 30 meg constant. Also if you live somewhere like me in a neighborhood that several others have Comcast, peek hours are bad due to everyone sharing the same line. Streaming video or online gaming can be painful due to disconnects, browsers may not notice it but will drive you crazy if you game or watch a lot of video.

I just got the 16 meg uverse deal, they had to add a box to the outside of the house and a power supply in the garage to power it, they ran cat 5 cable through the house and their modem has built in wireless which has a better signal than my apple router has. They will also hard wire up to 3 computers and have a 30 day money back guarantee. I'm very happy and all though my speed test are now testing at 14 -16 meg I'm downloading faster than comcasts 30 meg, but the biggest thing is no disconnects. Oh and also you don't share a line like Comcast with everyone else.

is the equivalent of ATT UVerse in markets that Verizon serves, mostly East Coast but some pockets in Dallas and Florida markets It is awesome. They run fiber all the way to the house. I've got 35 Meg service both upstream and downstream for a comparable price to DSL and Cable.There are higher speeds available up to 300 Meg in some areas. If you happen to live in a Verizon FIOS market, I highly recommend the service. As a side benefit, Comcast has improved a ton since FIOS showed up and took huge numbers of their customers. </p>

yeah, they charged me $80 for install after promising me a free install. customer service on that screw up was beyond terrible, they actually transferred me to a system for prisoners at one point.<div>
    </div><div>it's cheaper and fast enough for everything but streaming HD. other than that, AT&T is as bad as everyone says it is.</div>

I play Xbox with it, watch espn3, and netflix. You should check your speed, your probably getting less than 3

Quote Originally Posted by boomboommsu
    yeah, they charged me $80 for install after promising me a free install. customer service on that screw up was beyond terrible, they actually transferred me to a system for prisoners at one point.<div>
    </div><div>it's cheaper and fast enough for everything but streaming HD. other than that, AT&T is as bad as everyone says it is.</div>
    That's exactly what happened to me. They told me free install over the phone and a couple months later I got a bill for, yep, the install. When I called and told them I was told install was free, they just said, "sorry, whoever told you that must have made a mistake." I cancelled right then, and of course I had to pay some ridiculous cancellation fee (like $300) even though "no contracts" was another thing that got me to do it initially. I avoid ATT like the plague now.

Quote Originally Posted by KennyPowers2
    I play Xbox with it, watch espn3, and netflix. You should check your speed, your probably getting less than 3
    but I was definitely paying for 3 meg. I want to say when I tested it was closer to one.